ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it looks like I'm going to need someone to accept an out of state transfer for me. Any suggestions before I just call a local shop or two? Hoping to find someone that will make this as painfree as possible. I've also heard that transfer fees vary quite a bit, not sure what to expect yet. Any input appreciated.

JT

·
Registered
187 Posts
Prices may vary for the actual tranfer thru a FFL dealer.
The best bet for you is to have it arrive at the whichever dealer you choose with ALL financial concerns between you and the sender completely prepaid. FFL tranfers usually are done as a flat rate fee or something like 10% of sale whichever is greater, so having it arrive prepaid is best for you.
Just look up gunshops in the phone book and ask them what they charge. If the gun is coming from another FFL holder, the 2 dealers will exchange their license info and the recieving one here will need to send a signed copy of their FFL to the sender. They will just need the sender contact info from you.
In any case you will be doing the same waiting period and paperwork here as if you were buying the gun from them ( 4473 and call to FOID) so it will take you 2 trips to them, (1) to start the papers and (2) to take delivery.
It all sounds worse than it is and more complicated but thats why they charge the tranfer fees because of the time it takes for all the back & forth paperwork.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BUMP

Thought I'd bump this back up and see if anyone has new information. I used Cabelas a couple times, but they are up to $40 or $45, and obviously two trips out there. Not to mention that gun counter always seems to be so busy, it takes forever...

Just checking in for anyone new in the area...

JT

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
No new info here. Check the GunBroker link. Plenty of FFL's in Illinois.

·
Premium Member
6,424 Posts
I used a guy(Roy V) in glenview over on Cherry ave real good guy to deal with. If yoor in the NRA bring your card and I think it ends up to be like 15$ for the transfer

·
Registered
509 Posts
I've used Allen Saflarski a few times over the years, but he's in Batavia. Might be a bit of a hike for you. I can say, the transaction was painless with Allen.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Little King. I can't find Vaughn listed anywhere though. I wonder if he is still in business or maybe he moved...I'll look for him some more.

JT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts