ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousin came over to my house today and saw a display that my wife made for me. I was out in November shooting my crossbow, just practicing. I was in my treestand at the property I own and had a deer decoy set up at 30 yards. I shot the first arrow and hit the decoy. I then shot the second arrow, but did not see it. I was almost sure I was right on, but i thought maybe i got a little jumpy at the end. when I got down to check it out, I realized that I had split the first arrow with the second one. I carefully pulled out the first arrow of the decoy and brought it home to show my wife and kids. I thought they would get a kick out of it. Anyway, my cousin thought that this was a very rare occurence, and i disagreed. I do not think it is very common, but i thought it probably happens more than you think. As we were looking at it( i never really studied it before) i noticed that the orange nock got pushed in from the second arrow.

Just wondered if anyone thought that this was really strange, or happens occasionally.

either way, probably a once in a lifetime shot for me :)2 :-D

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
rubberfishwrangler said:
Robin Hood
You beat me too it maid Marian :) .

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Yep,thats frameable! :)2

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
I did it once shooting broadheads at 40yds, and it destroyed a good carbon arrow! :evil:

I didn't think about it the way you are, I was mad! :roll:

I think if someone shoots enough, it is bound to happen to you.

Nice shot is right. If this does happen, you know you are doing things right, that is for sure! ;)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Robin Hoods happen...

Most Archery Ranges have them mounted up on their walls...

Happens fairly often... but still very cool...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Next time keep shooting. 3 or 4 strung together would be a better mount.
/yourock
Nice shoot'n

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Ever see the show "Mythbusters"?

Definately a rare occurrence.

On the show, they tried to split an arrow, and only succeed after a great deal of difficulty and manipulation of the shot.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'll estimate I've shot 10,000 arrows in the last ten years, and although I'm not using the best bow or shooting competitions, I've never done that. I usually shoot sets of five and have had regular side by sides or the occasional glance and damaged knock but never nothing like that. Did you make a wish?

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just a lucky shot, although I would love to say it was pure skill!! :p ;)

thanks for all the replies

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
Well, one other point to make here, I bet it is far more likely to happen shooting a well tuned crossbow, than with any other type of bow.

As for the mythbusters, without being a regular user of a bow, for hunting or any sort of competing, I would immagine it would take you a real long time to have this happen. :roll:

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Captain Jim said:
As for the mythbusters, without being a regular user of a bow, for hunting or any sort of competing, I would immagine it would take you a real long time to have this happen. :roll:
Yeah, like I said, they manipulated the shot alot too.
They eventually bundled up a bunch (30?) of arrows together, bound up tight and on an upright brace, and kept trying to get an arrow to split.
Lodged between alot,
and splintering alot,
but an out-and-out split took a long time trying before they achieved it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The better you get at archery the more expensive it becomes from wasted arrows. You certainly drilled that one dead on. When practicing with broadheads it is way to common to slice off fletchings and bang heads together so it is better to use a larger target with multiple points of aim, and have some practice only heads.
Nice flinging William Tell.

G

·
I saw that once at Northwest Archery back in its day.

Mythbusters is terrible with archery myths.

Espeically when its glue on knock and the point hits dead center.

Wish I had a pick of the thunderhead 125 buried in the I-beam over the range too.

Good pic

1 - 20 of 20 Posts