ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

We want to plan a vacation the first week in June up in Door County. I heard that Sturgeon Bay has great Smallmouth action this time of year. Problem is that the wife is not an avid fisherwoman and we would like to do other activities.

Anyone know a place that is nice to stay at without breaking the bank and close to things to do for the wife.

Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
My wife and I spent a week in Door County last July. June thru August will be a zoo up there. Hotels, lodges, cabins line both shores up and down, so there's plenty to choose from, if you love crowds.
But we don't. We spent the week at Kangaroo Lake Resort. Kangaroo is an inland lake, with only a couple of places to stay; more private than anything else. We weren't more than 45 minutes away from anyplace on the Door.
The resort was QUIET. We swam, played with the canoes and kayaks, and fished. We found things to do from Sturgeon Bay up to Washington Island.
You will find plenty of shore fishing along both Door coasts, and charters, too.
We found that staying at the resort was the best of both worlds. We combined a quiet, northwoods-style cabin with the busy Door County stuff only minutes away.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
My wife and I have successfully combined fishing and shopping up there. Wife's mom has a condo in Egg Harbor that thankfully, we can use, so I have not had to do much in regards to lodging. But there is lodging everywhere.

We did stay once at Cliff Dwellers motel which is a bit west of Sturgeon Bay, right on the edge of Potawatomi State Park. http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/par ... otawatomi/

It's kind of an old motel, but right on the water, and they have bikes you can rent, and have direct access to the park, so you can ride right in. The state park has some deep water drop offs real close to shore that seems like it would be good for shore fishing too.

There is also Sand Bay Beach resort, on the other side of the State Park, that used to be (Still is??) run by a guy Dale, that is a fishing guide. He put me on some smallmouth a couple of years ago.
You can rent all sorts of boats from Snug Harbor Marina also in Sturgeon Bay, but across the bay.

Each town (Egg Harbor, Fish Creek, Sister Bay and others) have cool stuff in it. Go to Al Johnson's restaurant for Swedish breakfast food and see the goats that are on the grass roof of the joint.

Greenwood Supper Club has a cool Northwoods feel to it. Cherry Hills Golf course has good eats too. Perry's Cherry Diner, chicken dinner at the Sister Bay bowling alley.

And then there are the fish boils that Door County is famous for. Whitefish, carrots, taters and onions all boiled in a big cauldron over an open fire. When it's done, they throw a small can of fuel on the fire and it flares up, boils off the excess fat and makes everyone go Oooh.

A cool day trip is the car ferry out to Washington Island, and for a real full day, go from Wash Is and take the passenger ferry to Rock Island State Park. It has no permanent residents like Wash. Is, but some very scenic beaches and hikes.

Boy, now I'm ready to go back! Have fun planning. Steve

·
Registered
121 Posts
My wife and I have 2 acres in Baileys Harbor
I had to call the builder Yesterday as we were going to close and start excavating this Friday on our 1,600 sq ft getaway.
I had to tell him (And eat $3,200 for now) Stop, put it on Hold.
The economy is too un predictable, I can't put a lein on my place down here for that place while putting my Daughter through College
Hoping to God nothing bad happens until this place is paid off in 8 years.

Back to the fishing :
The season in Baileys Harbor starts in mid-May when we fish mainly in the harbor, targeting brown trout. In early June we start fishing 2-5 miles out from the harbor for Chinook (king) salmon and rainbow trout (steelhead). Fishing improves as the temperature of the lake water warms during June. Salmon fishing typically peaks in mid-July, although August and September fishing also can be excellent. While fish will bite all day long, the best fishing times are very early mornings at sunrise and evenings at sunset.

JerkBait, My wife is eyeballing one of those condos in Eggharbor
to tide us over for the next few years
Can I PM you to see if they are the same ones and if there a good Idea?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Look into the Nautical Inn. Great B&B with good prices, plenty to do and right on the Bay. Hot tub on the deck and great bar with music every Friday and Sat. Rooms are country style with plenty of charm.
Close to everything and great fishing right from shore if you know what your doing. You can head up to Sister Bya and the island if you want.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think the Smallies will be on their beds while you're out there. Practice quick releases so the gobies don't completely wipe out the eggs.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Last year we stayed at Creekside Cove in Unit 11. Beautiful 3 bedroom/3 bath Townhouse on Main Street, Fish Creek. Big screen TV's, Granite, Wet Bar, the works. It overlooks Green Bay and the edge of Peninsula State Park. Bait and tackle a couple hundred feet away. Completely furnished with linens supplied. Two decks…The large one wraps around the corner, providing great space! Walking distance to downtown shops and restaurants…and the State Park entrance.
Last year the daily rate is $245.00. 5.5% Door County tax. $75 cleaning fee. (This was in July)

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
If you're looking for a nice dinner, go to the Mission Grill in Sister Bay. The food is good, but kinda pricey, and the restaurant is a converted church. I was not impressed with the super club at the Sister Bay Bowl. The orchard just south of Fish Creek has a good wine tasting if you like apple wines.

We stayed at the Birchwood Lodge in Sister Bay. In-room hot tub was nice, as was the indoor heated pool. Other than that, the accomodations were decent, not great, but decent.

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
Many years ago {12+} the wife and I stayed at "Wan-A-Wak" cottages right on the water just outside of Sturgeon Bay. The owner was an older woman who let you have the run of her main house because she always left it open. The cottages were from the 50's and 60's and nice.
My recent internet searches have turned up nothing about her operation these days :cry: . Of course there was great Smallie fishing from shore or boat...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts