ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be tossing for some larger fish soon and am in need of a net. Since I live in the city, I just walk everything around and would prefer an extendable net so I can carry it around on the bus along with my rod and tackle. Does anyone have any recommendations? So far the best I've seen is the EGO S2, but it's like $80 :eek:

Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I use a house roof snow rake I bought from a home center a few years back . The snow rake comes in three 5ft snap together sections, and of course the rake. You get a regular short handle fish net and take the handle cover off , if so equipped, and try and match up the end of snow rake to fit inside handle of net. if not tight fit, put a small bolt through end of net handle, and snow rake handle with drill,then secure with a wing nut for easy assembly or take down .the snow rake will cost between $40- $50 ,but you can modify your handle to 3 different lengths by adding or subtracting snap together pieces . it also makes a good life saver if someone should fall in the water ! The only thing you might have to ask the retailer to check his back room , as it is winter merchandise ! Don't forgot to ask for a discount seeing its summer, and you may be able to get a good deal on it now !

PS Don't forget if netting a large fish, lift net with handle facing up , hand over hand, if you lift fish out vertically you may bend aluminum sections from too much weight !

Wet Nets Stokley <(((<

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
I can't recommend a specific net. But, my old telescopic aluminum net is made from square stock vs. round. All things being equal wall thickness, square stock will be stronger when it comes to bending (or breaking) vs. round stock. I think the square stock of equal thickness would also be a bit heavier though b/c of the extra weight int he corners. But, I can't see spending $80 bucks on a net unless I were a guide or big time musky or salmon fisherman. As mentioned "handle up" if you can and put the weight along the length as much as possible when landing a fish vs. a "perpendicular" bending load. I think I paid $25 or $30 bucks for my net years ago and it hasn't broke yet. I think I got it at Ed Shirleys in Countryside so maybe it was more than a few years - lol!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I fully agree; $80 for a frickin' net??

DIY is a good idea and my boss is big on that type of stuff, so I could recruit him. However, I did find this on Cabela's website:

It's 52"L x 18"W, folds up, lightweight, and cheap at $15.

Some reviews say it's too lightweight for larger fish and that it broke when lifting one fish up, but after hearing what Waukegan Wally said about lifting vertically, it could very well work for me. Afterall, I have no idea if I'll catch fish and how big they'll be; I just know I need a net of some kind in case I do. I think for $15, I will get this one and try it out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
its more than 52 inches to the water on Chicago piers ! Keep that snow rake in mind , you wont even have to bend your knees !

PS call around a few Ace hardwares or home centers and ask if they carry a snow rake in the winter and if they have one in the back room you can get for 1/2 price ? Ask for the Mgr !

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Lifting vertically with the net is the standard with big fish when in a boat or on a pier. The challenge will be for you to do it from shore without dipping your feet in!

If you could get inside the handle/aluminum, you could spray some foam inside to add rigidity w/o increasing the weight much. However, you wouldn't want to do this on the one end where it has to telescope inside the other. If you do spray some stuff in there, just make sure you get the low expansion stuff and leave ends open for it to expand out and trim off the excess...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I ended up getting a 52" folding telescopic handle from Cablea's that was on sale for $15... It fits my needs better than a rake handle... As good as that may be, I'm biking around and need to be mobile.

Wish I had it the other day, caught a Northern while casting for bass.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Painters roller extension poles work nice to extend a net too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts