ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talked to the commandant of the Illiana Squadron of the U.S. Power Squadron tonight.
He had a letter from the Indiana DNR concerning some new laws for Lake Michigan. He said these laws actually went into effect last year, but they are apparently giving some leeway til the word gets out.

1. Speed limit on Lake Michigan from sunset til sunrise is idle speed or "no wake".

2. All children under age 16 must wear a PFD at all times. Under way or anchored.

He also told me that a seat cushion will not be considered as a "throwable" unless you also have a ring bouy. And that all boats will need to have a throwable. (used to be boats over 16' only)

Another friend told me that if you cross into Canadian waters ( Lakes Superior, Huron, or Erie) with a VHF radio, you will need a license for the radio. The licenses are now $120.00 and are good for 10 years. Call 1-888-225-5322 for more information on this.

Will try to get more information on Indiana Lake Michigan laws.

·
Registered
174 Posts
What's the purpose of having a cushion if they are requiring a ring. Seems like this would just take up extra space. Not that I'm trying to cut a safety device out of the picture, but it seems one or the other should do.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fishfinder on 2002-04-05 08:13 ]</font>

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Talked to the DNR this morning and got some clarification.
The speed limit on Lake Michigan at night is 10 mph, except within 200' of shore, where it is idle speed or no more than 5 mph.
Boat cushions will serve as "throwables", you do not need a ring bouy.
Any other questions , call
District 10 Headquarters
Michigan City ,IN
219-879-5710

1 - 3 of 3 Posts