ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the area, and I love this website! Kudos to those who run it! I would love to fish the big lake for bass. But I have concerns...I have a 16ft Flatbottom boat/25hp motor, that has served my purposes well. Am I foolish for taking it out on lake michigan? Obviously want to fish structures close to shoreline and wouldn't go more than half mile from shore. I know weather can change lake conditions in a hurry! If it is safe, where can I launch? Any special regulations I need to be aware of? (other than usuall illinois DNR regs?) Are there launches on the lake for a boat like this...what about parking? I'm full of questions so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...Fish 'on....

·
Registered
197 Posts
i wouldn't, even under calm conditions. the tour boats, large cabin cruiser's (like 65 footers)and tugs will wreak havoc on you. stay in the harbors and fish the areas that are open to fishing from boat. look at an earlier post about that topic and call the park district # posted. good luck

·
Registered
268 Posts
bioteach,

Welcome to Chi-town. I would not take a flat bottomed anything out on the big pond. Even the yacht tenders have keels.

There are plenty of shore fishing opportunities that don't require you to risk getting wet and other bodies of water where your boat would be ideal.

As my Mom used to tell me, "Try not to do anything, stupid!"

G

·
i fished for one year out there in a flat bottom boat without a problem, some years i have seen guys fishing at the state line in kayaks. you can fish out there in anything if the wind is right. you can launch from hammond marina and work your way west all along the shore, don't let anyone tell you you're gonna get run over, you won't see any tugs or 65 footers working the shore line.

·
Registered
197 Posts
jraap, if you've been on this and the old board you should know better than to say that i would provide disinformation to dissuade someone from fishing the lake. you are probably right about bioteach being able to fish (more safely)down in your neck of the woods BUT i was serious about what goes on in the areas that i fish (the tour boats were out there on thursday) and anyone fishing up north WILL be exposed to open water to get to the breakwalls. please do not tell a new fisherman to the lake that he won't be gambling some, in a 16 foot flatbottom 25hp boat. yes, there are days you could dog paddle to the michigan shoreline but you and i both know it's rare and can change in an instant. for your info i also e-mailed bioteach, minutes after i posted originally and told him to call me anytime if he needed suggestions. hardly the action of someone trying to keep people away. when 'this' topic comes up by new guys, very few if ANY, ever say anything but reality. it to damn dangerous to joke about. end of line. dave h

G

·
dave, i'm not saying that you would provide disinformation to dissuade someone from fishing the lake. i'm not saying what you said is wrong, and i wasn't tryin to be a smart aleck. everyone is entitled to their opinion and i apoligize if i offended you. did you get my return letter on the smallmouth fishing?

·
Registered
197 Posts
OH! IT'S J.V...why didn't you say so in the first place...rip away. never went by jraap on the other board...always by your name. yes i did receive your e and will get back but not at 1:30am. chat monday...cool?! dave
p.s you did say, what i said was wrong...hurt my feelings. later dude

·
Registered
268 Posts
In defense of kayaks

Kayaks are incredably seaworthy. Big waves, little waves, strong winds, wakes, trolling, site seeing, they can handle it. Add the Eskamo (Innuit?) roll and you can handle anything except a drunk boater. They're just to darn much like work.

G

·
Is your concern about Biotech's boat because it is a flat bottom boat or the fact that it is a 16 footer? I have a 15' deep "V" tracker I was hoping to take out along the lakefront this summer. Do you think there will be problems?

G

·
Anonymous, you and anyone else will not have a problem in any kind of boat as long as you use your head, i fished out there in a flat bottom before, with no problem. there are times when you can take a flat bottom boat to the break wall from hammond marina, and there are times when you can't even get out of the marina. a 5 m.p.h. north wind can be murder, but a 15 m.p.h. southwest wind and you'll be fine. stay close to shore and watch the weather. also have atleast 100 ft. of anchor rope, it is one of the cheapest saftey items you'll need, if you engine goes, atleast you can anchor and not end up in green bay.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Dear Anon,

My response to bioteach was related to his flat bottom.

What we have here is a man who is familiar with his boat and his motor. Someone who has spent time on the water, just not Lake Michigan. I ass-u-me that he meets all of the Coast Guard regs and knows how to use that gear.

My concern would be floating around in a boat with no yaw control or straight line capabilities in a lake known for big waves of short duration. V hulls, by design, fight to stay in a direct line. As they swing from port to starbord, the water pressure at the stern increases forcing the bow back on course.

Secondly, flat bottom boats, "generally", don't have built in flotation. See the recent posts on "Three missing in Lake Michigan."

Third(ly), flatbottom boats, "usually", have limited flair or the ability to stay upright when tipped by waves from the side. They don't gradually reach their limit, they just flip.

Flat bottom boats are fine boats and very usefull. Millions use them. "I" wouldn't use one on Lake Michigan. Its my choice and my opinion.

Does any of this answer your question?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: amused on 2002-04-23 21:49 ]</font>

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the feedback to Anon. You guys are great. I will get that 100 feet of anchor line before I go out. BTW. I just found a good website for marine forecasts. enter your zip code and use the Marine forecast button. I also have a NOAA site I can post if anyone is interested.
><>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bob Hicks on 2002-04-24 18:34 ]</font>

·
Registered
197 Posts
gamefisher as in the 1920's heddon gamefishers? just curious, also would your intials happen to be K.V.B. later. dave h

·
Registered
268 Posts
Gamefisher - Stop by your local library and peruse the latest copy of "CHAPMAN PILOTING - Seamanship and Small Boat Handling". See Chapter 12 - GROUND TACKLE.

"jraap" suggested "atleast" 100 ft of anchor rope. I don't know what type of anchor you have but a good rule of thumb is a rode of 7 to 1. Rode being the lenght of anchor line you have out.

In 20 ft of water, with your line secured to a cleat 2 ft above the waterline, you should have 154 ft of line out for a secure hold.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Skitterpop, Yes, that's me. We have etalked in the past. Thanks for your suggestions and advice. I hope to put them to good use.

Amused, As a Quartermaster in the Navy we were taught that there should be a 3 to one ratio of anchor chain(rope) in relation to depth vs. distance to anchor. If the water is 25 ft deep, the anchor should be 75 ft. horizontal distance from the ship(boat)which would require about 100 ft of rope. I use an 18 lb. flutted anchor.

BTW, where would you guys recommend launching "Das Boot" to fish the Lakefront. Is there a launch at Navy Pier or Burnham? What time should I get there to be sure of a slot?

Thanks in advance. ><>

·
Registered
30 Posts
Skitterpop, A Sears 14' GameFisher was my first boat.
><>

·
Registered
197 Posts
ah! thanks...thought i might have had someone else with the vintage lure affliction. dave h

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm changing my Non dePlum from amused to confused.

Ahoy Gamefisher, Welcome aboard. Are you the anonymous poster concerned about a 15 footer in Lake Michigan?

I'd like to address the rest of this post to the Teeming Masses who might not understand the finer points of what we were discussing.

3 to 1 is fine for a safe harbor with a watch set. Chapman recommends between, 3 to 1 and 5.5 to 1, for an all-chain rode. In favorable conditions, using nylon line, 5 to 1 is recommended. Bobbing around in heavy waves with a conked out motor requires even more scope. That's why they recommed 7 to 1 for the added safty.

Like they say in the carival, "You pays your money, you takes your chance."

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok, let me see if I've got this, I was Air Force not Navy.... 3:1, 5.5:1, 7:1, I'm just thinking of how much line I now need for my poor ol'17 footer... Hmmm.... Now does a bigger boat mean MORE line? But more line will mean I'll need a BIGGER boat, which means I need more line, which means.....To use a quote from the movie JAWS, "I think we need a bigger boat".

PS: Can I use "flightline" instead ???

Heck, I think I'll fish from the bank for a while !!!!!! :)14

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DaveBien on 2002-04-27 22:14 ]</font>

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey amused, You prob seen me out at the stateline! I fish out of an 18` sea kayak and my brother`s fish with me!!! The boat I fish from I built and have fished lakes mich,erie,and superior!!! spring,summer,and fall Ive been out as far as 2 miles I have sonar, gps,and marine radio you name the fish and Ive caught it from this boat including a 47 musky!! The kayak is a one man fishing machine if outfitted properly you can travel for weeks as I do every year in the boundry waters!!! yes its a lot of work and sometimes down right scary but a solid eskimo roll will keep you going in 4` to 6` swells !!!weather is always a key factor. like any boater you should always check the weather before going on the big ponds!!!!!! lots of work = lots of satisfaction ALWAYS WEAR A P>F>D see ya on the water!!!! PADDLE ON !!!!! :)27 :)27 :)27 PS 50` of 1/4 " nylon and agood old fashion smelt net anchor works for me !!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kayakjoe on 2002-04-29 23:38 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kayakjoe on 2002-04-29 23:42 ]</font>

1 - 20 of 24 Posts