ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am from virginia and have been living here for a couple years. I love to fish but assumed that the fishing around here was bleak. I was thrilled to find out about the coho, chinook, and browns. So I went out last friday evening to montrose, to the horseshoe sat. morning, and to belmont sunday afternoon. I was floating a crawler about five feet down, and a fathead about two feet down. I was also casting a 3/4 green/silver spoon. They just weren't hitting.

anyway, how does my setup sound?

I like artificial. where do you all suggest going and what do you suggest using?

I hope to try again sat. morning.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Your setup is good. The only change I would make is to skip the fatheads and use a piece of squid and float it between 4 and 6 feet.Your choice of artificial bait is good,also.I prefer casting spoons,overall, mainly because you get twice the casting distance.A 3/4 to 1 oz. green and chrome little cleo is my favorite.Last year me and a buddy caught better than 70 coho in one morning at Dean Mitchell.Unfotunately,to the dismay of all of us,Mitchell closed this year.As far as a place to go,watch this board for the latest reports.Welcome to Chicago,you'll find the fishing here is far from bleak.....the hammer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm new to the area as well am I'm looking to hit some Chicago spots for some spring fishing. Hit Kenosha, WI last fall for the salmon run and had a blast. Awesome shore fishing!

So my questions are as follows:
1) What are the popular spring spots in Chicago area?

2) Any suggested lures/baits other than what has been discussed below?

3) What is the standard tackle being used (rod size, line, etc.)

4) What's the mood like at the piers and harbors? Good people or rude fishermen?

Thanks!

Down with the tollway increase!!!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fishing for the fall kings is a blast, get yourself a fly or noodle rod before the fall and fish some of the rivers, nothing better. But to your question for shore line spring fishing, they are hot right now at the state line plant and 95th street and as time goes on will be moving north. The Com Ed discharge is getting browns and coho right now floating squid or crawlers. If you want to cast while you are watching that float I have always liked shad raps SR7's in Shad or Gold. Rapala's new J9 broken back brown trout and Rebel broken back fasttracs in rainbow or orange diamond have also been real good. As to the people on the piers and harbors, belly up to the bar and see what you get, mostly it's a good bunch. Read past posts and hit all the harbors people are writing about Montrose, Belmont .....

<HR WIDTH="75%" COLOR="#FF0000" SIZE="4">
<marquee>I spend most of my life fishing, the rest is just a waste</marquee>
<HR WIDTH="75%" COLOR="#FF0000" SIZE="4">

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Marc on 2002-04-04 20:43 ]</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts