ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone been out in last few days from Pastrick's or Calumet Harbor?

Any Luck?

I am planning on coming down on Saturday and would like to know if you found any fish in the ship canal, Inland steel wall, breakwater gap, discharge.

Just looking for a place to start. I was there on March 22 and the water was 34 degrees and the only fish I found were in the ship canal where it was 48

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Aw c'mon

Come on now guys. I know on a beautiful Saturday, somebody must have been out. I am heading out tomorrow AM and I would like to get an idea where to start. The discharge, the ship canal, or the wall?
Anyone?

·
Registered
596 Posts
I went out of pastric at 6:30, set lines on the way out of the marina, made our way to the Dean Mitchell and started picking up a fish on on each pass,then started getting them out deeper, made our way to the hole in the wall picked up some under sized coho with some browns, on our way to the ship channel we ran across a area on the north wall where 3 fish came in a row just as we got the fish out of the net another one hit all nice browns, went into the channel with nothin goin on. So where do you think we went, trolled the spot for about 2 hours with browns on every pass, ended up putting 7 nice coho in the box and turning all the browns back all were fat and silver, lots of under size coho, we lost count at 8 or 9, best brown was 10-12 lb at best.
the coho loved the bodybaits in gold, shad raps jointed or not each did about the same, dodgers and flies did noting at all. the browns came later in the day a little deeper off riggers 17ft down on spoons, blue dolphin and purple and chrome in a bloody nose type of pattern.
We were about to pack it in and I got A call from Mik-lurch and Capt. Ralph to say the perch were being had in 40fow and they were bringing minnows, they were only about 3/4 of a mile away from us so we ended the day at 4:30 with some nice perchies, 12- 13 inchers to top it off. It was a fun day to be out, warm and flat on the water for once.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So anyways i was out there a few weeks ago and we didnt do all that well not a bite. looks like it is time to go back!!! What was the water temp? And what is the Dean Mitchell?

·
Registered
596 Posts
water was from 39 to44 in the channel, Dean Mitchell was the discharge on the east side of buffington, they shut down a few years back, it used to be a fish magnet but at times there are still fish there. there was good action at gary light but the armada was heading that way, we wer running planer boards with a 80' spread and wanted to stay away from traffic so we picked away at them all day, we all planed to spend the whole day out there, we boated close to 30 fish , trout and salmon but the browns went back to get bigger and fatter and some good perch made for a full day away from land. 10 hours plus it has been months since the last time I did that!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Breakwall

Thanks for the reports. We went out Sunday from 95th and tried a couple passes at the hole in wall, around the 15 boats fishing perch at the hump and along Inland steel wall and did nothing. Pulled up and tried the ship canal. We marked so many fish we stayed there two hours with nothing.
Water in the canal was 51 degrees. Outside it was 42. finally caught a couple in the mudline where the temp was 45. Moved to the Cal Harbor breakwall and caught 3 coho and a 10 pound Lake Trout (no kidding)
Laker and 2 coho there were on a small green J plug on a dipsey down near the bottom. The other coho was on a pearl tadpoly.
Spent way too much time with orange and brass colored baits that got no hits. I guess the water was too clear for them on Sunday. When we went deeper and switched to muted colors of green, we did better.

·
Registered
596 Posts
we ran across a area on the north wall where 3 fish came in a row
pretty much was th only place we got fish all the way around, other than small coho

1 - 7 of 7 Posts