ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am new to carp fishing, been a bass and musky hunter for 20+ years, looking to tangle with a new species.

I live in Wheaton and for now am looking for some nearby lakes, rivers, ponds, etc. to get the hang of my set up, different baits, etc.

Anyone willing to drop a note, I would greatly appreciate it - anyone wishing to offer some sage advice or coaching, that is welcome as well.

Thanks,

Jimi...

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
You're only about 20 minutes from the Fox River. That's one option. I've never fished that part of the river, but there's a dam in Geneva worth trying.
Maybe someone from that area will give you better tips.

·
Registered
345 Posts
For carp near you, I'd recommend McDowell forest preserve.

I've only pulled average size carp out of there (tops 10lbs.), but I've seen some monsters milling about.

As posted in another thread the "pop up corn rig" (artificial floating corn + hair rig) is a great way to fish for them. I've been using these pre-made hair rigs which I tie onto fairly heavy line.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
-

Interesting. Good for you. I know they get really huge although I personally would never think to fish for them.

Jimmi I've seen Carp tournaments at the lakefront. Some of the guys get those bells for their rod tips too. Know what I'm talking about?

Are you going to look into those or maybe one of those fancy tripods rod holders the electronic bells and whistles they're very stylish too. Just in case you doze off I guess. I bet those can be expensive but think of all the heads you'll turn :cool:

You'll be the Cat's Meoooooow mo :)28

Headed to Rivers now. Jimmi be sure to post a few pics and good luck with your new fishing adventure.

-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts