ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm new to the Evanston area and would really like to start using my 8-weight from the shores here in town. I've seen a good number of guys throwing spoons and other baits I don't have a problem replicating with my fly rod, but I'm curious if anyone out there has a pointer or two.

Any other guys throwing fly lines in around the area? I'd love to meet up!

Cheers!

·
Registered
128 Posts
My advice is to forget the harbor and get to a river where you actually stand a chance. Des Plaines up by you or better yet the river by Carthage college. There should be some salmon in it now. Think it is the Pike river?

Hey all,

I'm new to the Evanston area and would really like to start using my 8-weight from the shores here in town. I've seen a good number of guys throwing spoons and other baits I don't have a problem replicating with my fly rod, but I'm curious if anyone out there has a pointer or two.

Any other guys throwing fly lines in around the area? I'd love to meet up!

Cheers!

·
Registered
169 Posts
For the big lake, forget the fly rod and go with the spinning rod and spoons. Can cover much more water and negate the wind effect. Conditions have to be perfect to score with the fly rod as I have tried for several decades!!!!!!
Good luck
FL

·
Registered
4 Posts
I fly fish the lake front, and though I don't catch fish in the same numbers as the guys throwing spoons and crank-baits, I do catch fish.
As you have probably already guessed you'll want a sinking line or shooting head and big streamer patterns (my confidence fly is a simple deceiver). When fishing inside the harbor sometimes a floating line will do, an intermediate can be really nice.
That's my advice for the salmon right now. Spring and early summer the smallmouth and carp can be really fun. But we are a few months away...

If you come fish the north side of Chicago let me know!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Interesting the idea of catching less fish comparatively and still sticking to fly fishing. Perhaps you get more exercise and need fewer trips to the gym.

Again to repeat, some of these salmon swim up streams. If you are somehow inexplicably bound to fly fishing either through preference or investment, try the stream behind Carthage college. Since salmon and trout fingerlings are released there, the fish swim back up in attempts to spawn. It is not that far from you but you will need a Wisconsin license.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Catinthebag is somewhat right: given the choice I'd head up and fish the rivers.

But if I have three hours to fish on a given evening, I'm a fifteen minute bike ride from the Chicago harbors. I get to fly fish for two and a half and have a blast doing it. If the fishing is hot I'll catch mine too.

I like fly fishing. Throwing a stick of dynamite into the water would be most efficient but even if it were legal you can count me out: there's more to fishing than a head count.

Some of us get it, some don't.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Quick question Bucktail. How much did you spend on your flyrod, reel and lines? Just the amount for one rig?

Catinthebag is somewhat right: given the choice I'd head up and fish the rivers.

But if I have three hours to fish on a given evening, I'm a fifteen minute bike ride from the Chicago harbors. I get to fly fish for two and a half and have a blast doing it. If the fishing is hot I'll catch mine too.

I like fly fishing. Throwing a stick of dynamite into the water would be most efficient but even if it were legal you can count me out: there's more to fishing than a head count.

Some of us get it, some don't.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 8 wt outfit I use for the harbors cost me a grand total of $200.

And if I loose a fly on the rocks I'll tie a new one up for less than a buck.

How much do you spend on cranks and spoons in a season?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would say 30$ or so. I fish from a kayak so if I get snagged up, I just paddle back and fetch it so I dont lose many. I use a lot of fly fishing flys too. On of my buddies prefers "the art of the fly" and he has given me some hellgramite patterns. He's hard to fish with tho - his line is all over the place.

The 8 wt outfit I use for the harbors cost me a grand total of $200.

And if I loose a fly on the rocks I'll tie a new one up for less than a buck.

How much do you spend on cranks and spoons in a season?

·
Registered
916 Posts
A guy by the name of Austin Adduci makes a living putting folks on big pond fish with a fly rod. He fishes all over the Midwest and can help you. His guide service is called grab your fly charters.

Options now are plentiful. Salmon are moving into the rivers now. Browns and Steelhead will follow. The Root, and Milwaukee rivers in WI are almost at peak. Salt creek in Indiana will also get a run in soon.

If you like smallmouth, the fox river is good as well as a few other smaller rivers west of the city.

Good luck and welcome to the area.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts