ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I live "right by the lake" in Hyde Park, I thought I'd take up fishing, particularly since I've always had a yearning to and I recently made two impulse buys while shopping. I was hoping for some constructive comments on these two pieces of equipment.

So a year back, I purchased a Shimano Sienna/Sojourn spinning combo for $40 (still sitting unopened).

This past month, I purchased a Shimano Scabard/FX2500FB spinning combo for $30 which includes a box of lures, hooks, sinkers, floats, and already spooled reel with the advertisement "Everything you need to get started."

Looking online it doesn't seem like the Scabard rod is even existent on the Shimano webpage (I'm guessing it's a discontinued product) - it's specs are similar to the Sojourn rod.

Both seem to be pretty good deals, and seem to be rods that are similar in "nature/use." Even the specs on the reels seem similar.

Should I just get rid of the Sienna/Sojourn combo in favor of the cheaper $30 Scabard/FX2500FB setup (especially since the cheaper setup's got all the starter stuff included?).

I don't really know if I'll even like fishing, but always wanted to try, especially now that I'm by the lake.

Also, is it crucial to get a landing net (rubber from all the posts on this forum), a cooler to store 'em and a fillet knife (looks like some good rec's on this forum re: that too), considering I might not even catch anything? Seems like counting my chicks before they hatch sorta thing, but I wonder if it's possible to "land" fish without the net (been looking on YouTube on how to use a landing net). It's sorta hard to beach them shore fishing off Lake Michigan.

TIA for your time and comments; I'm glad to see so many ethical/moral anglers in this forum - it's encouraging.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well... the spinning rod was less intuitive than I'd thought (only experience was a spincast once)... Back to the internet...

Any rec's on a good place to go to "learn" how to use a spinning rod?

B&M Cabela's?

Some outdoor shop?

The tackle shop up around Higgins in Arlington Heights?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Getting started...

My suggestion to you (a beginner) is to go over to Henry's (I believe it's on 31st & Canal). Look up Fishing Supplies in Chicago and Henry's will pop up.

Just tell those guys your getting started for shore fishing and ask what you'll need. They will ask you several questions & set you up. My guess is they will assume you'll mostly do Pearch fishing. You won't need much really. They also provide fishing reports and bait recommendations. Great place!

With Perch, you will not need a net. Most folks bring along a 5 gal bucket to sit on and then toss the Perch into over ice. As for fileting? If I were you, I'd ask a buddy along who knows how to filet and can teach you.

There is "nothing" better tasting than fresh lake perch!

Go get'em

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fishmaster- Thanks for the friendly and informative reply!

I actually know how to filet dead storebought fish, but I'd read about the nice Rapala filet knives (andothers) as well as those that float (in case you drop 'em), so I thought I might invest in one (although I thought you can't dress fish where you fish anyways).

Also, I ended up paying for the salmon & trout stamp online this morning anyways; Maybe someday... :-D

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So are there fishing classes that can be taken? I'm assuming I don't want to "charter a boat" to learn how to shore fish. Do places like the "The Great Outdoors" or "Cabelas" offer fishing classes? I don't want to wait till June (free IL fishing days) to attend a fishing clinic.

Unfortunately, the people I know/work with are either too busy to fish or do not know how to fish. Living by a lake? Yes, still living by a lake.

So, if you knew absolutely nothing about fishing and wanted to get started, where would you go to learn?

Searching the internet & Youtube has proven somewhat fruitless.

Buy a book? Recommendations?

Jay "City Slicker" K

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Jay,

I think that the best advice may be to go to the "Partner Up" forum on CLF and ask if someone would be willing to go with/teach you. You can read all of the books and watch all of the videos that you want but fishing is such a "feel type" sport that you just won't get the whole gist of it. What I mean by "feel type" is that you have to get used to finesse casting and fan casting and other types of techniques that, IMO, would be very hard to learn unless someone was there with you. That is just the casting portion let alone lures, good times to fish, presentation, spots etc.

I for one was taught to fish at a younger age by my grandfather, and then as an adult by a great friend. I would not be the angler that I am today without the invaluable information that was provided to me by these people.

Good luck.
Neil

·
Registered
275 Posts
.......i dont shore fish for salmon, perch, etc but if you wanted to go for bass we could work something out. i think it may be easier to learn on a less 'urban' body of water though.

if not, yeah, hit the partner up. there are a ton of guys on here that do the shore thing all the time, i'd hope they'd be willing to show you the ropes.

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
If you'd be willing to drive to a Cabela's, then you might just consider driving out to where someone will partner up with you and teach you the basics. Depending on you schedule, I'd be willing, or I bet others would be willing to meet up with you at a local lake to show you the basics.

As far as your gear goes, I'm sure it's fine. You do not HAVE to have high dollar equipment to fish, but like any other sport or activity, as your skills and interest increase, so will your desire for better gear. Right now, if you have a license and trout/salmon stamp, your best bet might be to hit one of the downtown harbors and just cast... All you will really need is a few spoons like "little cleos" or a crankbait or two (shad raps, frenzy's, or rattle traps are popular), go down and just start casting. Find a spot away from others so you are not tangling their lines, and I bet within an hour or two, you become pretty proficient, heck you might even catch something!

Check out the LM shorefishing forum, see which harbor is getting the best action, and give it a try!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey bud, I'll tell you what, if you don't mind the drive out, I'll take you out on a DuPage, Cook, or Lake county Forest Preserve lake. Just shore fishing, bring both poles, and whatever else you have.

I've taught a mess of kids, some friends when I was younger, and my wife most recently to fish over the years, so I have plenty of experience with people new to the sport.

We'll hit a lake that's new or new-ish to me so we go through picking spots and stuff like that too. We'll have you bobber fish on one pole and lure fish on the other. I won't claim to be the best fisherman there is (or even a good one), but I am willing to help others learn.

Shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] if your up for it.

This weekend may be rough, I have my last show with my soon to be former band on Saturday night.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Tubes77 said:
As far as your gear goes, I'm sure it's fine. You do not HAVE to have high dollar equipment to fish, but like any other sport or activity, as your skills and interest increase, so will your desire for better gear. Right now, if you have a license and trout/salmon stamp, your best bet might be to hit one of the downtown harbors and just cast... All you will really need is a few spoons like "little cleos" or a crankbait or two (shad raps, frenzy's, or rattle traps are popular), go down and just start casting. Find a spot away from others so you are not tangling their lines, and I bet within an hour or two, you become pretty proficient, heck you might even catch something!

Check out the LM shorefishing forum, see which harbor is getting the best action, and give it a try!
I agree with Tubes77 on gear and tackle to get started; however I would also get a set-up for Perch/Crappie and hit Navy Pier or Montrose Harbor. (you can spend 5 bucks at walmart and you'll be set) and the benefit is unless you really want to you don't need to cast. They have a lite bite, however you should be a able to feel the bite.

I'd also hit up TCWJoe in going to a pond or lake and allow him to teach you. I like the idea that he'll have 1 bobber and 1 lure in the water.

-Kyle

·
Registered
39 Posts
kyleh said:
I agree with Tubes77 on gear and tackle to get started; however I would also get a set-up for Perch/Crappie and hit Navy Pier or Montrose Harbor. (you can spend 5 bucks at walmart and you'll be set) and the benefit is unless you really want to you don't need to cast. They have a lite bite, however you should be a able to feel the bite.

I'd also hit up TCWJoe in going to a pond or lake and allow him to teach you. I like the idea that he'll have 1 bobber and 1 lure in the water.

-Kyle
Except for when I fish on my lunch break at work, or on my way home, that's how I fish over 80% of the time I would imagine (possibly substitute bobber for a bell sometimes though. The rest is probably two bait poles.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fishslayer, Tubes77, TCWJoe - thanks for the kind offers; I'd definitely be up for driving in for a lesson (we hit Arlington Heights/Elk Grove twice a month minimum)

I still need to visit a tackle shop and get loaded up on supplies; Will shoot you a PM or e-mail to head out at your convenience.

Thanks!

Anybody else feel like showing a newbie a few things feel free :-D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey bud,

I don't think you're going to need more than one real shot to get yourself going. Probably won't need more than an hour, it's all about time spent on the water. Experience is the key, I actually hardly fished at all for the last nine years or so to tell you the truth. I still went when I could, but it was rare, so I am shaking some rust off myself, and need to just put in time as well.

As far as tackle goes, as long as you got a pole, couple of hooks, and some weights we're golden. I have everything else (and all that stuff too) we'd need, and I have it in spades except live bait. Anything you need to really fish for now can be picked up at Wal-Mart, K-mart or Sports Authority.

If you really want to spend some money, buy some hooks (a multi pack of loose ones or some #6 snelled hooks) , some weights (you can usually get them in packages that have many sizes and styles), and some bobbers. Try keeping your tackle smaller (and cheaper) at this point. If you want to buy some lures buy some multipacks of crankbaits, rattle traps, bass kits, whatever is cheap at the store. You'll probably do better with live bait than lures anyhow.

If you want to get yourself a tackle box my recomendation is to get one of them ones that has a flip top and and sliding drawers. Too big for what you have now, but not too big you feel pressured to try and fill it (says the man with the overflowing Plano 777 and another full cary along). If possible I suggest getting one that has racks in it for spinner baits.

If you're planning on being out for more than a few hours or keeping anything, get a CHEAP rolling cooler. They are multi functional..., keep your beverage cold, keep any kept fish cold, keep bait alive, work as a seat or table, and can be used as a wagon to carry gear. I suggest a cheap one so you don't get upset if it begins to smell funny or a wheel busts off. Once again, I have one of these, so no big whoop if you don't.

Sunglasses and a hat are a good ideas. Shoes that you don't mind getting wet, muddy or destroyed. I also suggest jeans (not shorts help keep ticks off depending on where we go) and a cheap, but durable jacket or flannel (based on the time of day). Bassically I suggest not wearing anything nice in case you take a spill into the water, off a pier or have to go in after a pole you loose a grip on.

Most importantly just bring a good attitude, everything else will come at it's own pace. Personally I get out to just relax as much as I do to catch anything.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Jay K said:
So are there fishing classes that can be taken? I'm assuming I don't want to "charter a boat" to learn how to shore fish. Do places like the "The Great Outdoors" or "Cabelas" offer fishing classes? I don't want to wait till June (free IL fishing days) to attend a fishing clinic.
Walleyes Unlimited, a multi species club is putting on a free clinic to teach all the basic skills. I happen to know the instructor (one of them), and they do a good job.

Here is some info. It is in a couple of weeks, so your timing is right on!

http://www.walleyesunlimitedusa.org/doc ... nic_08.pdf

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fishin D said:
http://www.walleyesunlimitedusa.org/doc ... nic_08.pdf[/url][/quote:3f7d8hkq]

It's free IL fishing day right? Is it "just for kids" though - I'd hate to be the stupid adult amongst a bunch of kids learning to fish.

TCWJoe- Couldn't PM you - not allowed function? What's your schedule like this month?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey,

Well my work is making me take one unpaid day a week off from work to cut costs, so I cam schedule up a weekday pretty easily, and besides mother's day I think I'm pretty well open most weekends as well.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unfortunately, I'm working 24hrs the day of May 18, 2008 (the free fishing clinic).

TCWJoe - Haven't had a chance to make it out close to Bartlett, yet.

I'm at the point where I think I should just up and buy a regular casting rod/reel, so at least I can start fishing while waiting to get to somebody or somewhere to learn how to use the spinning reel.

Any recommendations on a "good" casting rod/reel combo perhaps? Not bait-casting - as that looks rather complicated, just a simple casting reel w/ rod.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Go to Wal-Mart and get a Zebco 33 combo ($20-ish). I think by law you're required to own one at one point in your life if you're going to do any fishing.

Stay away from bait-casters if you haven't figured out spinners.

I'm off tomorrow if you want to meet up, I can wander your direction and meet you someplace (half way) if you can't get out my way. Maybe the quarries off of Archer or something

1 - 18 of 18 Posts