ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seem these guys got some nice kayaks for sale ...
Wonder if anyone in Illinois is doing something similar.

Cobra-Fish-N-Dive-Ocean-Kayak
Item number: 300218455820

·
Registered
608 Posts
Very very nice! Cool! Soon I get Malibu Mini X Kayak and I would add stuff like in the pictures! Calfornia, Texas and Florida is already ahead of us but we Chicagoland would catch up soon! :)2

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Last pic: If that's a battery in his battery box, the guy would be better off lowering it to prevent rolling his kayak.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot the specs ...

Length: 12' 6" / 3.82 m
Width: 36" / 91.44 cm
Weight: 57 lbs. / 25.85 kg
Capacity: 600 lbs / 272.16 kg
Material: Super Linear Polyethylene

Cobra Fish'N'Dive XF - Sit on Top Kayak

100% FISHING- Talk about a boat designed for fishing! This is it. Wide (36"), stable, and with a 12'6" length, you can float rivers, fish coastal flats, and handle lake chop with ease. We are excited about this kayak and cannot wait to discuss the advantages of the Cobra Fish'N'Dive with you!

100% DIVING- Lots of space for two and plenty of room for you, your diving pal, and 3 tanks. With a weight capacity of 600 lbs., you might as well throw a trolling motor on board and zip out to your favorite reef.

The Cobra design team decided to modify the Cobra Tandem deck and create the ultimate fishing/diving kayak. With same stable hull design as the Cobra Tandem, there is one centrally located seat and a smaller reversed "companion jumpseat" near the bow for another passenger or additional gear.

An even larger tank well is located in the stern and holds up to 3 tanks! Scuba divers love this unique arrangement that allows for heavy loads and provides a stable platform. The Fish N' Dive also can be fitted with an optional motor bracket for an electric trolling engine or a small outboard engine. Don't worry, there is ample room to store scuba gear, 12 volt battery, tackle box, bait tank, catch bag, fishing poles, clothing and much more. There is no other kayak this size that offers as much storage space!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Cobra, Hobie, Malibu, and Ocean Kayak are good brand name! Most seem use Ocean Kayak! Several serious use Hobie!
Everybody have different taste and depends on where to go, what equipment you plan to have, or what to fish for!

Research first, talk to someone and then you can buy what you want!
It took me almost two years until I ordered a Malibu Mini- X kayak for my personal perfer!

Most important is we go kayak fishing and have FUN!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I have heard of so many people wishing they had bought their kayak sooner. They wait and wait instead of getting something and fishing. With that being said, I'll get one- one of these days.

·
Registered
323 Posts
How tippy are those things. And how comfortable are they on the lower back ? Just asking cause i have no clue about them. Thanks

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have a Malibu X Factor and you could hold a small town senior prom aboard this thing. I stand up and sight fish in it. While the X is heavy, 93lbs on my scale, it is easy to get up to and keep at cruising speed. I put a rudder on it for easier trolling on windy lakes and intend to take her on the big pond this year.

X Factor

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey, I've got a Wilderness Systems Ride 135 and it is about 70 lbs. It is very stable--I could lean all the way over the side and not tip it. easy to transport as well--I pop it on top of my SUV and go. I use the Thule outrigger to pop the boat up myself...super easy. as far as the lower back stuff I've never had any problems.

vic

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm not a kayaker but don't those 2 last picks look like an accident waiting to happen to you? ok the water is flat but that guy is in chest waders, no flotation, not even a wading belt.

Ever see someone go down when their waders flooded? got to stay pretty calm to swim out of waders if you're submerged.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Chest wader is no no! Not me! Too dangerous! Wear lifejacket....type of life jacket is 3! Summer I like wear short and old gymshoe and life jacket! Plan to save money to buy real good waterproof clothes for cold water with life jacket!

Two years ago, a guy fish below Orgeon Dam ( Rock River) wear chest wader and went under......drown!

·
Registered
254 Posts
The wader conversation/controversy goes on endlessly on all the kayaking forums. I, for one, wear neoprene waders and a dry top with a pfd in cold weather, and breathable chest waders with a belt, a drytop and a pfd in cool weather. We practiced deep water reentry (belly-butt-feet) in a heated pool fully dressed in waders etc when we first got our kayaks, and on the lake in 65 degree water. My 8 year old granddaughter learned reentry with summer clothes and a pfd on the lake. Getting past the buckles on her pfd hanging up on the kayak handles was the big problem she had. My experiments have made me completely confident that if you can quickly get back on board, the water hasn't got enough time to get past the drytop and belt to fill up the waders.
If I could recommend one thing, it would be that everyone new to the sport read this book.
"The Complete Kayak Fisherman" by Ric Burnley
I bought mine on Amazon for about $15 and read it cover to cover, and still refer back to it on occasion.

Just my 2 cents worth

·
Registered
42 Posts
King - sound like you've got the knowledge and experience. You also mentioned a belt and a pfd. that guy doesn't have either.

I'm not a kayaker but very interested. appreciate the tip on the book. will definitely check it out.

jayw

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Water filled waders may be harder to move around in, but they don't make you sink. The water in your waders would be the same water that's outside of your waders and has the same specific gravity. It is not heavier than the water you are in. Good chance there'd even be some air trapped in your waders also, causing you to float. I'd be more concerned about the effect of the cold water on your body and a wader belt would help keep it out.

That being said, I'd still be wearing a pfd. In the colder weather, I wear a thick wetsuit bottom (farmer john), layers on the top with a paddling jacket.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts