ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys shut down your computer and pick some night crawlers. I was out from 8Pm to 8:40 Pm and I picked up 40 crawlers. Good night for picking.

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Worms

blufloyd said:
Got any recipes????

Can't get fish to bite on them any more. Last couple purchases ended up in yard.
Blu: I generally have good luck with blu gills and white bass with a piece of the night crawler. If the largemouth bass aren't biting I resort to catching pan fish.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thanks for the idea, well I went out but not as good as you. I say I got about 2 dozen of them in 30 minutes. My back aches now. Any tips Chuck?

·
Registered
121 Posts
My son and I have been doing this for years :)2
That perfect 60 degree dampness sends them right to the surface looking for Mr./Mrs right
I use a flourecent light which doesnt spook them back down their holes and tip toe with your step.
last but not least grab them and just hang on...Don't pull , they will loosen up to try to regain their footing and then you can pull them out of their hole easily.
Never put a damaged / torn / "iffy" worm with the others they will all die!

G

·
kman711 said:
Thanks for the idea, well I went out but not as good as you. I say I got about 2 dozen of them in 30 minutes. My back aches now. Any tips Chuck?
Always use a red light. Doesn't spook them.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
I never thought of using a red or flourecent light.
Ok, it's early, where to get one?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I usually double-up a Jewel Food Store plastic bag and put it over my flashlight with a rubberband. It cuts down on the light's strength and harshness and doesn't scare the worms.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
fish56 said:
I usually double-up a Jewel Food Store plastic bag and put it over my flashlight with a rubberband. It cuts down on the light's strength and harshness and doesn't scare the worms.
Now there's good ol' ingenuity and it makes sense too :)2

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Few months back I bought a headlight/flashlight combo at home depot.On sale..husky brand,headlight has white leds and switches over to red.Less than 10 bucks and you get two flashlights and two headlights(Gave the second set to my partner WITH an ice shanty) ;)

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Light for crawlers

Ed said:
I never thought of using a red or flourecent light.
Ok, it's early, where to get one?
Ed: I just put a red celephane paper over my flashlight fastened with a rubber band. Hunden has a good idea with the headlamp if you got one. I have one, but forgot about it. Thanks for the tip Hunden.Also the main thing is step lightly, The crawler can sense any hard step on the ground. Another thing someone mentioned was the temperature. Last night the temp was perfect. When it is cold they don't sprawl out as much.

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Preventing back problems

kman711 said:
kman711: You should get enough ideas from all the new post now. As far as your back aching, every 5 minutes stand up straight and strech a little. That should make it easier on your back. Blu could have told you that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Last spring, after a rainey nite, the crawlers were all over the street. I just walked along picking them up. Must have picked up 10 dozen in a 1/2 hour. Hopefully that will happen again this spring. If spring ever gets here.

·
Registered
272 Posts
use a 5 gallon bucket and fill with warm water, mix the water with little soap or detergent. pour the water on the ground and the worms will come out of the ground and take them a long time to go down again. this is our chinese way to catch worms. don't do that at your own lawn ;)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I didnt really think anyone picked crawlers anymore, I use to do that quite a bit when I was a kid or someone I knew needed some to go fishing. I know later in the summer month's the worms would be everywhere on a warm night where it has been raining a slow steady rain that day.
Sure wish we could get worms in So. Ga like we have back home in IL, they dont come out at night and they are not the same type of worm.
Besides bait is becoming like everything else, higher and higher in cost.
One more thing, sure wish I could get a hold of some nice size minnows like back home. Alot of times most of the minnows that you get are really to small to put on a hook without dieing.

Good Luck Fishin.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Get the red celephane at Hobby Lobby. This will make a huge difference and be worth the trip.

Another trick is to soak walnut shells in a couple buckets of water (24hours) and then pour it evenly over an area about 10 by 10. It irritates but does not hurt them.

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Walnuts for crawlers

lovetofish said:
Get the red celephane at Hobby Lobby. This will make a huge difference and be worth the trip.

Another trick is to soak walnut shells in a couple buckets of water (24hours) and then pour it evenly over an area about 10 by 10. It irritates but does not hurt them.
That sounds like a nutty idea. :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts