ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
Did a little research for places near me to throw a pole in the water and was hoping to get the low down. I tried out Wilmington but ran into a bunch of 'flooded bridge - park closed' signs. (I liked the look of that dam over there though). Tried the Des Plaines Cons. Area and the ' <- fishing ' sign pointed right to another locked gate. Ditto for Goose Lake area. I did finally manage to get into Kankakee River State Park which seemed decent but I didn't get a chance to really explore. Was thinking of checking out the Momence area next weekend if the weather permits That being said, anyone have any advice? I'm originating in Oak Forest and am looking for some early spring Walleye (but i'll take whatever I can get) and am willing to drive a bit. Any other shore casters out there? If any success what are you fishing with?
Thanks,

-Fat Tire

·
Registered
284 Posts
Almost all here are shore fisherman when it comes to the state park. Keep reading the posts here and you will learn plenty, or just grab your waders and learn it the fun way. Good luck.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Being in Oak Forest you've got easy access to I-57, so the state park would be a good place to start. I prefer to spend my time fishing rather than driving, so I've pretty much given up on Wilmington dam. People do catch fish there, however it can get heavy pressure and can be quite dangerous to wade beneath, a number of people have fallen in and drowned there. The state park offers plenty of good water, from shore to wading. I would suggest getting some maps (Kankakee River Fishing Hot Spots, Kankakee River Atlas) and start doing your homework. Another good resource would be the Kankakee River Trading Post, a good bait shop with a great selection of tackle and maps. If Nick is working there he'll start you off with some places to try. Their website, www.kankakeeriver.com, also posts the USGS flowage and levels, so you can check it out before you venture on down. They're on Rt. 102 in Altorf, right at the eastern edge of the park, you'll see the signs for it. The K3 can be a challenging river to fish. Locating the fish is half the battle, as they always seem to be on the move with the levels constantly fluctuating. I've been fishing it on and off for about 20 years and I'm just starting to scratch the surface. Good places to try right now would be eddies and pools along the shore (there's plenty with the levels up right now), no need to wade. Other people do well at the creek mouths. There's also deeper holes in the middle of the river, but locating those by wading this time of year is out of the question. If you're looking for walleye, the population is greater than it's ever been and the bite is on. It could be a tougher week if we get heavy rains, but there's still fish to be had. Popular baits are twister tail jigs, minnows and crankbaits. Rapala Husky Jerks are my personal favorite because they suspend rather than sink or float, great for working the current breaks, pools and dropoffs. Just a twitch here and there can do the trick...

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hey fattire get a kankakee river atlas comes in handy and give me a shout :-D always looking for some to hits some spots on K3

1 - 4 of 4 Posts