ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished the Columbia Woods canoe launch. There were those huge wakes in the flooded forest preserve lands. I think they were fish. The launch was not visable at all, except for the pavement leading to it. Had wakes and swirls behind cast using Renagade minnow floaters, willow bladed spinner baits, jig-n-twisters, and Blue Fox spinners. The watrer is very high but it's clear up to a foot in places. Finding a current break is tough. Well, would anyone know if walleye. pike. sauger, or crappie are spawning? Shoouldn't they have done so allready? Or, is it temperature of water that dictates when they spawn?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frogs out too

I finally found the Burr Ridge discharge off of Jean's Road. I caught an 18 inch sauger. The area loads up with anglers. The culvert area was just now showing. A few days ago it was completly submerged. Lots of drinking shady charectors hang around there. I don't trust them a whole lot. I probably will not be going there too often again, unless I have the area to myself. Guys reported northerns being caught there. But, there is not a lot of room if more than a few cars are there. The canoe ramp at Columbia Woods and Willow Springs Road shorelines are still flooded. It's very hard to find any calmer pockets anywhere. And, with the predicted rains this week, the river will most likly be getting more muddy, and fast. My sauger hit on a 2" white Riverside grub tail. Note, I've been seeing quite a few dead song birds in the forest preserve area and in the Oak Lawn Palos areas. What's killing these yellow and gree birds with a red spot on thier heads? It's disturbing to see so many dead birds. Even saw a dead goose floating by on the DPR.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Flood watch flood warning!

As the river begins do go from out of its banks to you have to cast 100 feet to reach the normal shoreline, we are due to get another possible 1 to 4 inches of rain in the next few days. I look for the river to not drop for about a month now. Oh, it has been said though, that when many backwaters or areas flood after various fish spawns occur, that thier survival rates might be increased numbers. So, could this flooding really help out and increase numbers of northern pike, sauger, walleye, and crappies? I think it will and based on thier increasing rates of numbers, all the mentioned species might benefit a lot from the high water. It doesn't help us now. But, in several years, a whole lot more of these gamefish will be growing up for us to try and catch!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DPR at Flood stage!

So are parts of the Fox, Illinois, and Kankakee. I know someone with property down in Arkansas. He can't even see the boat dock. It's covered with water. Time to build an arc? :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts