ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I understand it , there was no mandatory floatation in boats manufactured prior to 1971 and the boat that went down was made before that and since it was on the bottom it must not have had floatation. I would suggest anyone who has a boat like that either dump it or wear a life vest all the time. Im not trying to be funny but its not worth your life having an old fishing boat that will go down in seconds

G

·
Check your local marina. They have spray in floatation stuff now. the older stuff was pretty bad. They can add some floatation to almost any kind of boat. I put a full deck on a 14 ft jon boat. it sat pretty low. The spray in floatation brought it up where it needs to be. I still would not take it on the big pond. Jon boats were not made for that. good fishing all.

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
When you said you put a new deck in with the new spray foam that the boat was higher in the water. I'm trying to figure out how foam put in the inside of the boat could make it float higher. Did you fill the boat with water in a pond to test the boyuncy to see if it would float with a lot of water in it. . Please clarify. Thanks Chuck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts