ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this thing again in the mail. I guess its the 2nd or 3rd time I've received it? It's presumably a club membership with "dues" of $1/month for which I be "billed" later? I'll get to receive lots of free gear to get my "expert" feedback?

Did anyone here ever try this gig out?

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
Been gettin em' for years...I just disregard them,.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just sent mine back in the mail. I read it and it sounds all right. They send you a nice fillet knife kit and someother things. For a buck what do you expect. If it is anything about info on fishing I buy it. Its this little problem I have, some of you guys know what I am talking about. I'll keep you updated on things I get.

G

·
that outfit hosts a pretty decent fishing show every saturday morning. with decent sponsors willing to pass out gear. these guys are actually quite legitimate. probably have a healthy budget with sponsors willing to hand out some freebies for ad time. i'll give them 12 bucks. that only buys a few gallons of gas anyway.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I used to be a member until they started sending me books and movies and wouldn't stop. I bought a few because they looked ok but then wanted them to stop coming but it took like 10 calls to their customer service for them to finally stop.

BE CAREFUL, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

btw, I do like their fishing show, I have it tivo'd.....lol.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I don't remember how it all started. I think they sent me the book and if I wanted it i was to send the money with the bill that came with it, if I didn't want it I had to send it back to them. I bought a few and then sent a couple back after calling them telling them to stop sending me books but they didn't listen until literally 10 calls to their customer service. I am jaded on the NAFC for life because of that experience.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
See.. if something sounds too go to be true... it probably isn't.

This is why I was asking. To see if anyone got bit.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I like the magazine, and I have "Field Tested" a lure or two, which you get to keep. They sent me a second book after I cancelled the book subscription, and now they are invoicing me for it. Well, all I can say is, "What book?, I did not receive any book. Did you happen send it out with a tracker number so we can find it? No, just regular mail? Well good luck tracing it. And by the way, why would you send one to me anyhow after I advised you to stop doing so?" ;) They can threaten until the cows come home, but it will do them no good, and they will likely not send me anymore after they learn the lesson I am teaching them! :p

·
Premium Member
10,336 Posts
If you join NAFC, prepare to get junk mailed to death with offer after offer of fishing, hunting and wildlife items... All or most of which are wildly over-priced... The magazine is good reading and the tv show is good also, byt joining the club just puts you on their "fresh meat' list... As far as the mailer with 50 coupons in it, there are some good deals to be had if already in the market for a steel quanset hut... The lure deals aren't bad and many are for one of a kind items that fish might not have seen yet......

·
Registered
717 Posts
j-k-s is right.

I am a life member because the picture of the free rod/reel combo looked great (can you smell the sarcasm). when it came, it was not what was pictured and a piece of junk. Yeah I got the books too, I kept a few and finally told them to stop sending me ANY books, Had to say that because they will just not send the next one.The other thing, I ordered the under water camera. When it came it was great, used it a couple of times and then it stopped working. I called to return it and get a new one, which happened. The second one didn't even make it to the lake for one time.Total junk and I returned that one too. Then I keep getting calls saying I owe for two cameras. Each time I explain what happened and each time I am told ok this issue is closed. Next thing I know, they are sending me collection notices. It took a long time for me to convince them I didn't have the cameras anymore, I sent several letters to MN. They once had the guts to say that I still had the cameras, I told the guy on the phone that they are junk and trust meI ain't got them.

Other than that, the magazine is decent and since I am a life member, I never get another bill.

·
Registered
911 Posts
firemntom said:
Do they expect money for the books. Cause if they send me something without me payin for it before I AM KEEPING IT.
Which is a good plan for totally unsolicited items that get mailed to you, but when you sign up for the NAFC you agree to get bombarded with all sorts of crap as part of the membership agreement. It's no different than the 12 CDs for $.01 thing that's been running for years. It's a good deal if you don't look to closely, but mostly you just end up wishing that you didn't do it in the first place.

Besides, that magazine is available at Borders if you really want it and the TV show is free. Those are the two best parts of the club, so why even join? Just keep the Post It Notes and Zipper Pull and consider yourself done with them. ;)

G

·
...as johnny carson's sidekick ed mcmahon used to say,"I did not know that!" this site and you guys just saved me 12 bucks and a junk mail headache. thanks, now i have money for 4 ish gallons of gas to actually go fishing!

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
10inchgill said:
...as johnny carson's sidekick ed mcmahon used to say,"I did not know that!" this site and you guys just saved me 12 bucks and a junk mail headache. thanks, now i have money for 4 ish gallons of gas to actually go fishing!
Or you could add $3 bucks to it and help these guys support the site that saved you a headache ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts