ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have only been out a few hours the last 3 trips. Thursday early afternoon I found scattered gills and crappie and a couple small browns. Friday morning before the rain got to me more scattered gills and crappie. Saturday morning a little better crappie some more gills and one nice steelhead. All action on jigs (white still my most consistent color) swung slowly. My question is if anyone is still finding crappie, what techniques are working and what have been your productive times. Not asking for specifics on locations. I still feel that a good warm snap will bring bigger schools and faster action, but the crappie on the lake always seem quite unpredictable.

Good Luck All

·
Registered
48 Posts
Lodzop,when crappie fishing gets tough, its hard to beat a small minnow under a slip bobber.Fatheads work but shiners better.I do get consistent crappie fishing at Navy Pier.White tube jigs or minnows best.Fish do seem to move alot.Hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've found some real nice school of crappie in Belmont, Diversey and Montrose. When the bite dies, I am usually able to pick up a few by fishing slip floats and minnows straight down along the harbor walls. Look for wall areas that are directly associated with deep water. (Diversey has a nice hole like this just south of the bridge!)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the insight. I usually find a strong early push of large fish beginning in March and ending in the first couple weeks of April. After that the size tends to diminish. I tend to target them shallow and will be trying to work deeper water to see if I can keep with the school of breeders. I also fish the North Side harbors and have used minnows with floats, but I seem to to better with a moving presentation with little rise or fall, almost a slow swing leveling out to a slow drag. Thanks again and good luck to you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts