ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, I started fly fishing last summer when i lived in Chicago, primarily fishing the harbors and Chicago river. I used to lurk these forums and decided to finally join.I just moved out to Homer Glen, Il (kinda close to Joliet) and i just thought I'd ask how's the fishing around here and any good places to fly fish in particular? I'm not asking for any honey spots or anything, just some places to start out again out here. Thanks for your help. Like i said, i frequent these forums alot and i know you guys offer some good info so thanks again. Oh, and, are there any perch out here? Just, had to ask.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
For a quick trip, you have the Cook County Forest Preserves in the area - Tampier, Horsetail, etc. Some of the area retention ponds are pretty good too. Also, if you don't mind taking a drive, the Kankakee River is good for wading, as long as the water levels are safe.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Start looking for retention ponds, They're all over the S suburbs. Blue gill are plentiful, willing to eat, and fun on a 4 wt or lighter, so they make for good practice. I also second the K3 for wading. Look for local creeks, and bring that 4 wt again.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
For fly selection, I prefer small beetle and hopper patterns for surfacing bluegills, and you can pick up the occasional bass or crappie. I also like MickyFinn pattern streamers for bass and crappies. If the fish won't take the hopper pattern, try a nymph like a hare's ear or a pheasant tail. Gills will gobble them up.

For the local streams, I prefer leach and hellgrammite patterns, along with larger nymphs like stoneflies. Smallies and rock bass will take all of these. I also us elk hair caddis and cricket patterns for surface action.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's why I had to join this forum, I don't have any fly fishing gurus to talk about this stuff. I come from a family of spin tackle fishermen, so I get my knowledge from this forum from fellow fly fishers like yourselves, thank you guys again. Blufloyd, I'm not sure what you mean about buying your ride (do you have a boat or car for sale?) but thanks for chiming in, I've read your posts, and I am a fan. I hope everything is going well. At any rate the ice is pretty much gone from my local bodies of water so I'm gonna try to do some fishing next weekend, tomorrow I start on the road to reel foot lake in Tennessee for some crappie fishing with my uncle and my cousin. I'll post pics on another thread if the fishing is successful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts