ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since 2013, I've had to learn saltwater since freshwater lakes are mostly private access here. But using the Hobie, I can get to water I would never reach wading, though winter pattern brings over slot speckled seatrout in. Some of what can be had here.. Spanish mackerel, flounder, shark, cobia, jack crevalle.

I have gotten one trophy bass from a public access lake - Moon Lake has 21 springs. The bass was 10 lbs 8 oz.

All that aside, I was Jones in for some ice fishing action the last 2 winters. If anyone wants to fish from a yak in the Gulf near Tarpon Springs, give me a shout.

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice! Flounder=yellow perch. Spanish mac=sashimi. Cobia=pike. Shark=catfish. Jack crevalle=asian carp.
Cobia pull like a shark and are heavily muscled. My first one was 38" and 34 lbs. They have no teeth, so not like a pike at all. The mackerel are related to barracuda, a mouthful of razor sharp teeth and take off like a rocket. Lb for lb, the jack crevalle is the strongest of the bunch, long powerful runs. Speckled seatrout are the yellow perch of the saltwater, limit is 5, and the slot is 15" to 20", but you can keep 1 over 20. There are saltwater catfish that will hurt you bad if you get spiked.

when I was in Chicago at the end of September I got a 7-day license and hit up some suburban ponds for a little pond trifecta.. bass, bluegill, and crappie. But I really miss ice fishing, and the memories of dropping metal chunks through Navy Pier ice to make holes for winter perch. .. aah, nothing like it. Nothing. Nearest I can get to that down here is hand lining for blue crab on bad weather days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts