ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Just a few more days until heidecke opens. Only fished there once before, last day last year. Just curious what are some favorite tactics and bait types do you all use for early season hybrids. From what I have read it seems like ratltraps and shad raps are the ticket. I am assuming that shad colors are a favorite.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have better luck with walleye early.Smaller lures early(in the year).Its not like Lasalle anymore,cold water.From shore best bet might be minnows on bottom.Some large stripers were caught on last years opener,just not numbers.Gunna miss the opener,DAM WORK!
Good luck :)2

·
Registered
216 Posts
opening day

It's going to be very cold water so a slow presentation is necessary. I'd definitely be using chicken liver for the stripers and probably jigs and minnows for the walleyes.

The water in the inland lakes around me is about 35 degrees. I'm guessing Heidecke is going to be below 40 so slow dragging anything across the bottom is going to be the best tactic.

I fished the Mississippi last week and the water temps were hovering 30-31 degrees.

Maybe try some suspending cranks......reel and hold for a while.

Let us know how you did. I hope to get out there in a boat, but who knows what the ramp situation is going to be. There could be some real prop eating shoals out there this year were it was only 5' deep last year.

Time will tell.

Good luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
herpin1579 said:
I fish from shore
Where is a good place to fish from shore here? It almost seems as if you have to have a boat here. The only place I like to fish from shore at is at Tampier lake and others nearby.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts