ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my parents just moved out to sandwich (lake holiday) .I was wondering if anyone had any insight on the section from oswego down to sheridan. Of course, I will be spending many weekends out that way and cant wait to get aquanted with the river and near by creeks. I did see a dam down in yorkville but there did not look like there was much public shore access. I normally fish the dpr. , salt creek and the kank. and do pretty well for myself. Most of the reports for the fox I see are a bit further north of this area. I'm not asking for anyones specific spots, just places that have public access where I would not be trespassing on private property any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
You can access the river on the South side of the river by the Yorkville Damn. They are doing construction there and last I saw they had no tresspassing signs around the construction zone but that is just for safety and liability around the equipment. That place is actually a park, and you can access a little further down. I think it is best fished by waders anyways, so just access it a bit downstream from the construction site and you are good to go. Freemans bait and tackle is also right there so you can stop in for bait and and to see whats biting. In the Plano area the river can be accessed at Silver Springs State Park. There is also a boat launch at the park. If you can get out in a boat there is some very good channel and flathead fishing in that part of the river. That part of the river also holds a few secrets if you do some exploring. Farther downstream there is another damn as well that I have seen people fish but I can't remember the name of the it off the top of my head.

·
Registered
124 Posts
There are no dams south of Yorkville until you get to Dayton. There is a small dirt ramp in Millington with access called Lois Landing. And, a small park in Mllbrook called Shu Shu Ga.
BTW, the fishing at Holiday is supposed to be great !

Also, I believe the Kendall County Forest Preserve just purchased land on the north side of the Y-ville dam, to provide public access. It will be a while till it's open, I suppose.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Frostie said:
There are no dams south of Yorkville until you get to Dayton. There is a small dirt ramp in Millington with access called Lois Landing. And, a small park in Mllbrook called Shu Shu Ga.
BTW, the fishing at Holiday is supposed to be great !

Also, I believe the Kendall County Forest Preserve just purchased land on the north side of the Y-ville dam, to provide public access. It will be a while till it's open, I suppose.
Yes Dayton, thanks for the info. There is also what I guess might be considered a small damn about a mile or so downstream from Plano. It goes over half of the northside of the river with a very deep hole beneath it. Nice cat action right below it in the hole or on the current break on the south side. Need a boat to get to that one though. I have a friend with a Go-Devil motor and jon boat who can usually make it all the way from Plano to the damn in Dayton. Also has a canoe on some riverfront propery in Sheridan that we access from. Its hard to imagine catching nice flatheads out of 4 foot holes, but much of the river is very shallow around there so if you can find some depth, there is usually fish.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I definitely appreciate it. Its a place to start. I do have a boat and also a set of waders. From what I heard a guy at work told me the river between that stretch is pretty shallow everywhere from ankle to waist deep. I dont know how true that is. If thats the case Ill leave the boat at home and will be better off wading.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im also learning Lake Holiday too. I fished it a few times in late fall and did ok. A few channel cats, a couple of dink large mouth bass, a few crappie. The nice thing about that lake is that its only for residents and guests of residents. Also the boat has to be registered to a resident and have the association numbers on it. So it Recieves less pressure than average lakes.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
I bought my boat from a guy that kept it on Holiday. It still has the numbers and old sticker on it. Does that count? :lol:

LH is a great lake. I have a friend who has access to it from a few different piers. As soon as the ice is off you can start catching the cats and crappie. Your right about the pressure. Most of the time it is very minimal. That is great that you will have boat access :)2

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Matt, If you wanna go on holiday sometime send me a pm. My boats registered. Its not the best boat or the fastest on the lake but it floats! Its a 88 16ft Bass tracker flat bottom jon boat w/and old 15hp sears outboard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts