ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. My job is in the process of relocating from Stamford, CT to Schaumburg, IL and I will be moving out to Palatine at the beginning of June. I am an avid fisherman who does not currently own a boat but I do have access to a canoe that I may be taking out with me. I was just wondering what fishng opportunities exist in the general vacinity (Let's say within an hour's drive of Palatine) for the shorebound angler?

Down in this area, I have done a lot of stream trout fishing and bass fishing, dabbled in a little walleye and muskie fishing with moderate success. Any advice or insight regarding the area and its fisheries would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

[email protected]

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Just about all of the forums deal with areas that are within an hours drive of Chicago so you'll have a plethera (love that word 8:) ) of fishing opportunities from shore.
My favorite (I live by it) is the Fox River.
If you're used to stream fishing you'll ove it!
It's bigger than a stream but is best fished by wading for most of it's length.
There's all kinds of fish to be caught too.
Browse through that forum and you'll see pictures of all kinds.

Then there is Busse Woods which is right in or next to Schaumburg.
You won't have to worry about being shorebound at all around here.
Let us know when you get here and I'm sure you'll have new fishing buddies in no time to help you out.

Welcome to CLF!

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Pmjasper,welcome to the great state of illinois!
try a lake called doughnut,lots of variety in there. :)2

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
LOL...boy, either you are really fast....or I am really slow.

I just read the post on the Illinois River Section, and figured Ed might move that post here.

Welcome to CLF ... again :-D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for the information. I took a look at the Fox River near Carpentersville when I was out there last Sunday. It reminded me of a few of the rivers we have here although I was lead to believe that the fishery was so-so and that a few of the towns it traversed might not be the safest. Again, not being familiar with the area i am only going on what a ffew others told me on another website.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
I wouldn't say any of the towns the river runs through are unsafe.
There are places where there may be more riff-raff than others but nothing that is out and out dangerous.
Hey, it's Chicagoland, what do you expect 8:)
Really though, most places are not a problem at all, and as I said, I'm sure you'll have plenty of company to show you around.
If you're coming out again before you move, let us know.
Someone will be willing to meet you and help out.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I believe the Twin Lakes Recreation area is in Palatine. That might be the doughnut lake referenced above?? I think they charge a small fee to fish there, but it's stocked with just about anything you're looking for, bass, crappie, catfish, and even muskie. And if the fishing isn't so hot that day, you can go hit some balls at the driving range, so that's another plus.

- Jon

·
Registered
911 Posts
Twin Lakes is awesome if you're a Palatine resident it's super cheap too.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all for the information. It's funny how people view things differently...On another board people stated the fishing in the area stinks and that I should drive to Wisconsin to go fishing. Now while I love to explore new places, and might from time to time head elsewhere, everything around my new residence is brand new to me. I'm excited about finding different places and different species to fish for and appreciate all the help along the way. Thanks again.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Wisco is awesome, most if not all of us make it up there several times a year, but there's plenty of awesome fishing right here at home too if you care to find it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds good.

I grew up in NJ and spent 22 years living on the Passaic River. At one time the river was on the top 10 list for most polluted rivers in America. I watched it grow from a place where catfish and carp abound to a revitalization into a pretty good smallmouth bass and pike river. Once I moved away, I started fishing for everything from stream trout to lake trout, bass to pike, walleye to muskie and a few saltwater species in between. I've stood on banks, fished from canoes and kayaks and owned tiny jon boats up to center consoles for saltwater. Truthfully, I never thought my career would take me to Illinois but I'm up for the challenge and hoping to find some good fishing along the way. Luckily, I've got an exellent fiancee who loves to fish as well, so there will be plenty of exploring to do.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Hey pmj, you may want to check out the local fishing club, Arlington Anglers. Lots of nice guys, and lots of them have boats and are always looking for partners to fish with.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you. I may give that a shot once I'm settled in up there. I just hope you guys can bear all of my questions in the coming weeks and months. I'm sure as I look for new locations and information about the area I'll have plenty of them. Thanks again.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
No problem, I'm sure anyone traveling out east will have questions for you also ;)

·
Registered
911 Posts
Dude, when it comes to fishing around here you've hit the jackpot. Any question you have related to fishing, tackle, places, etc this is the best place around for getting yourself squared away and ready to hit the water. This is really a good group of guys to know.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes everyone has been really helpful so far. I got a bit concerned when others from a different site stated that fishing in the area wasn't that great. Now my fiancee and I don't need out of this world fishing to be happy, but a nice variety of places and species is fine. Hearing about the Fox River, which I was told wasn't that good around the vacinity Carpentersville, didn't make me feel too good but heear experiences from guys on this site is showing the river in a new light. I just can't wait to get there, check out some local tackle shops and start finding my way around the area and into some decent fishing locations.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Do a search on Carpentersville here on the site and see if you think that those other guys were right, or the guys here are. The proof is in the photos....... 8:)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My fiancee and I will be residing at the Woods at Countryside off of Dundee Road. We thought it was smart to rent while becoming familiar with the area. The location is relatively close to Schaumburg and more to our liking than some other areas we visited.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts