ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard of people pegging a texas rigged sinker to their bait with a toothpick somehow. How is this done? If not a toothpick what are other good ways to do it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
I use bullet weight t-stops, slide it thru the weight after you put the line thru and pull tight clip ends and weight will only move with presure. Works great when flipping heavy cover.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
put the bullet weight on the line first the way you normally do before the hook is tied on. (Texas rig) then as you know, the weight will slide up and down the line freely. to stop it from sliding, take a toothpick, jam it into the underneath side of the bullet weight.....once it is snug in there, break off the toothpick and it should break off pretty close to the end of the hole of the weight. now, it should be pretty tight against your line, you should be able to movethe weight up and down to the desired depth but it should pretty much stay where you want it.........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
...i use the T stops or just buy the 'screw in' bullet weights. they screw into the top of your plastic, obviously you can slide those up and down though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,898 Posts
Chris,

I know a lot of guys use the toothpick method like Ropes suggested. Some guys are fearful of the toothpick snagging the line. Others use the rubber stops or even bobber stops. The only time I peg my sinker is when I am punching mats.

Larry Nixon, often considered the greatest worm fisherman, says that he never pegs his weight. Good fishing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
489 Posts
I use the rubber t-stops also. they work great. Now that I have been switching to tungsten, the rubber t-stops are too large, so I have switched to sinker stops (basically a bobber stop without the bead). They are small rubber pieces that come on little wire rings. You put your line through the ring, and pull the stop onto your line. Then put your weight on, and tie up your hook. Slide the weight down, and then slide the stop down on top of the nose, and bingo, you are pegged!

I only peg my sinker when fishing moderate to heavy cover, to keep the sinker and the bait from separating. Loose or no cover, I'll let the weight be free or switch to a carolina.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the tips guys! I've just been having issues with my sinker getting weeds all over it in the ponds I fish around me. I figure if I peg the sinker there will be less of a change of it picking up weeds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
489 Posts
wmuallstar said:
Thanks for all the tips guys! I've just been having issues with my sinker getting weeds all over it in the ponds I fish around me. I figure if I peg the sinker there will be less of a change of it picking up weeds.
Are they crisp weeks, or for lack of a better term, "gunk" weeds? Gunk weeds are the real mooshy kind that stick to anything and everything. Kinda like the slime in Ghostbusters! Even peggin your sinker won't help with that. Then I just go carolina to keep my bait up above the gunk. Sinker comes back all nasty, but the bait is usually clean. Otherwise for good normal weeds, peg it, pitch it, and catch it, until your heart's content!

Now, go get that pond prowler from BPS !! ;) You can take me out for a spin, and I'll show ya the prowlin ropes! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fishin D said:
wmuallstar said:
Thanks for all the tips guys! I've just been having issues with my sinker getting weeds all over it in the ponds I fish around me. I figure if I peg the sinker there will be less of a change of it picking up weeds.
Are they crisp weeks, or for lack of a better term, "gunk" weeds? Gunk weeds are the real mooshy kind that stick to anything and everything. Kinda like the slime in Ghostbusters! Even peggin your sinker won't help with that. Then I just go carolina to keep my bait up above the gunk. Sinker comes back all nasty, but the bait is usually clean. Otherwise for good normal weeds, peg it, pitch it, and catch it, until your heart's content!

Now, go get that pond prowler from BPS !! ;) You can take me out for a spin, and I'll show ya the prowlin ropes! :lol:
Haha, I really want to go get it but like i said in the other thread, the boss has to clear it. The only thing holding me back is the fact that im getting married in June so money is a little tight until after the wedding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
489 Posts
wmuallstar said:
Haha, I really want to go get it but like i said in the other thread, the boss has to clear it. The only thing holding me back is the fact that im getting married in June so money is a little tight until after the wedding.
Trust me on this one....it is easier to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permission ;)

I do not proclaim to be a marraige counselor, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night! :p

If we can work it out schedule wise, I can take you out on the prowler on the lake of your choice, so you can get a first hand feel of what it is like. We'll split the gas cost, which, with no gas engine, works out to be pretty cheap! :lol: I can go some weekdays during the day, and/or some weekend mornings. Where is crestwood? I would think we could hit a DuPage forest preserve, or something similar, that allows trolling motors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I sent you a PM as that seems more appropriate and the fact that we are WAY off topic.....LOL
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top