ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If perch fishing is closed to adults then why were there so many people fishing for perch in Montrose harbor yesterday?Went and took my nephews out caught two nice ones on slip bobbers and left over softshells from june . Thought we do better but they werent in the rocks.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Go to member service and there is a poucher hot line to call. Give them the information and ask for a response back as to what is beening done. If they are not going to enforce the law then drop it.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did call the hot line and they took the info down but it started pouring rain and with the kids we decided to leave. I hope they went there probably could make a fortune with the violations and who knows if they even have valid fishing licences. Just kind of tick me off good thing the bite wasnt that good but they were catching some on the horseshoe but it was pretty crowded wasnt a place where the kids could cast witout a problem.

·
Registered
63 Posts
There is nothing in the regulation that prevents you from fishing for perch in the close season. However, you cannot keep them. Here's the following excerpt from the regulation book:

A CLOSED SEASON means that fish may not be taken between the specified dates.

The context of the term "taken" in the regulation book means to keep the fish rather than catching them.

If anyone finds something differently please share it. I will still be perch fishing but just doing catch and release. My camera still has some slots left for big perch.

Happy fishing.
Kevin

·
Registered
589 Posts
You're not even allowed to help your kid too much, so I know you're not supposed to be fishing for them. This applies to whether you plan on keeping them or not.

From Sun-Times...

"Fishing for yellow perch in the Illinois waters of Lake Michigan is closed to those 16 and older in July."

http://www.suntimes.com/output/outdoors ... ish05.html

Just Grin & Bare it like the rest of us.

- JC

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the day i was there 7/2/06 they were keeping them thats what made me post this and call DNR.

·
Registered
242 Posts
in my opinion i think thats a stupid law. i mean dont get me wrong i understand and support the whole promotion for kids fishing and whatnot, but that seems a little drastic, and besides, someone like me doesnt keep what i would catch anyways i just do it for enjoyment, and if any1 asks me what im doin i can always say "im not fishing for perch"

just my opinion tho.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Perch. Catch and release?

My understanding of the law was that you weren't even supposed to have a pole in your hand and fishing for perch? Whether it be catch and release or not? Correct me if I am wrong. It was created for only the children to fish, not the adults. Yes or No?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi Snowgoose
I could not believe my eyes with all the people (ADULTS) at Montrose pier and the harbor taking 5 gallon bucket full of perch. I know I saw hundreds of these illegal perch fishing shenanigans going on for everyday I am at the harbor. I have a boat there and am just off the entrance, and am appalled by the blatant disregards of the law. I might have seen maybe 2 0r 3 12 and under fishing for perch rest were adults some with 2 - 5 gallon buckets full of perch. I know it hard to keep up on these things but I have not seen enforcement out there once this year.
Just a concerned citizen and fisherman. The perch were runnin in the harbor in huge schools and they were going along the wall people were gettin them by the 5 gallon bucket full one after another. Maybe saw 2 kids under 16 fishing rest were adults. It was crazy about 5:00Pm on sunday.

Good luck,
Ken

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ken, as long as there are laws and regulations there will always be people breaking it. On the upside, I was out there yesterday with my daughter fishing and a conversation officer on a bike pulled up and asked for my license. While I did buy one I had left it at home but the officer was very understanding and just wrote me a warning ticket. He then proceeded to go around to check for license and other things. I told him that I was glad to see him out there even though I got a warning ticket out of that.

From what I understand the DNR has had a reduction in staffing due to budget and that makes policing much harder. This year, I have seen the DNR out checking for license several times and I think they're trying to do their best but they can't cover all locations at all times. There will always be people breaking the law and getting away with it and you happen to see it. Just the same there will always be some that get caught and you weren't there to see it.

Just my 2 cents.

Kevin

·
Registered
424 Posts
Perch fishing in July

Outdoors Report from Chicago Sun-times

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Midwest fishing report
Perch: The perch are really in, especially at Navy Pier and Montrose. Now might be the best time to take kids perching from shore (if the perch aren't in, rock bass or bluegills should be biting). While perch fishing on the Illinois waters of Lake Michigan is closed to those 16 and older during July, it is open for those 15 and younger with a daily bag of 10. There's been a fair number of complaints of adults keeping perch during July, especially at Montrose. Those with valid Indiana licenses (non-resident or resident) may perch in the reciprocal waters of Cal harbor.

I am sure glad I got an Indiana license. My son and I were killing them the other day near Michigan City and Pastrick Marina. It was a good investment since I am out towards Indiana so much and live fairly close.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have a question, how do they know if I am fishing for perch or not?
If I put a minows or softshell on my hook and try to catch some rock bass and a perch take a bite, am I breaking the law? Or I just cannot fishing in Lake MIchigan at all during July? I am not try to fishing for perch, I just want a answer because you can catch SM, LM, rock bass on minow and softshell too.......... :roll:

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
shad_rapsss said:
There is nothing in the regulation that prevents you from fishing for perch in the close season. However, you cannot keep them. Here's the following excerpt from the regulation book:

A CLOSED SEASON means that fish may not be taken between the specified dates.

The context of the term "taken" in the regulation book means to keep the fish rather than catching them.
Chong, you can fish for perch, you just can't keep any.

·
Registered
424 Posts
RCW 77.08.010
Definitions.

(11) "Closed season" means all times, manners of taking, and places or waters other than those established by rule of the commission as an open season. "Closed season" also means all hunting, fishing, taking, or possession of game animals, game birds, game fish, food fish, or shellfish that do not conform to the special restrictions or physical descriptions established by rule of the commission as an open season or that have not otherwise been deemed legal to hunt, fish, take, harvest, or possess by rule of the commission as an open season.

Straight out the book, no manipulating or editing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Curveball, where did you find that rule? I searched the entire pdf on the Illinois 2006 fishing regulation and did not find it. The only thing I found was the one that I posted earlier:

A CLOSED SEASON means that fish may not be taken between the
specified dates. Waters receiving catchable rainbow trout have
closed seasons (spring and/or fall). A closed season prohibiting harvest
of rainbow trout is necessary in order for the State to have the
trout stocked and permit all anglers to have an equal opportunity to
harvest fish on “opening day.”

Found on page 8 of the regulation book. There is no other closed season regulation unless it's site specific for perch. Lake Michigan does not have site specific regulation and falls into the state wide regulation which is what I posted above.

My run-in with the convservation office the other day confirms my thought. I was fishing for perch with a shad rap but he did not pursue any action against it nor questioned me if I was perch fishing. I'm not saying that you're wrong or anything, we all would like to have a clear answer on what we can and cannot do but when rules are vague, it's open to interpretation. If you can cite your quote that would help us get a better definition.

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
They should shut down all july fishing in lake michigan
anyone caught fishing should be fined :)41 :)13

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
If the rules weren't open to interpretation, there would be no attorneys. If you do take fish illegally and get caught, fines could reach $75 per fish. Perch is really good....but not that good. Why risk it and say you're fishing for something else? When the DNR officer is standing there trying to decide if you're in compliance, he / she could be chasing off others that definately aren't.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I am amazed at all of the poachers we have on this board. Perch season is closed. period. full stop. end of story. If you are posting about getting around the law, and statements like "I tell them I am not fishing for perch" when you are-you are a poacher. It's that simple.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts