ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plant Sky Cloud Water Vertebrate

Thats my personal best. How much do you think it weighs. I would say its about 25 inches but i never took any measurements on it :(
Also share your personal bests for the fun of it!!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
For your own records, you should carry some sort of way to measure a fish, be it a tape measure (the best way) and/or a scale (another good way to measure).

Otherwise, all you'll have are wild speculative fish stories based on pictures with camera angles that may make a fish look larger than it truly is.

The picture shows a nice fish, but you could be only 3 foot tall which makes the fish look large or 7 foot tall and the fish appears smaller than it actually is.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Typically when you reach the 25" mark, you're pushing 7-9 pounds from my personal experience. Although, that fish looks a little skinny to be 7-9. Not sure, this is all specualtion given reasons stated by axis_roll. Regardless, beautiful bass and may many more come your way

·
Registered
345 Posts
Ericpf,

Posting that link to every thread is spamming, and will get you banned.

If you want to plug a site, fine. Do it like everyone else, and put it in your signature. Then, participate in actual discussions.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bet that fish ended up in the frying pan. To bad it could have produced a lot of little bass for future fishing.
I would love to know why you think that this is the case. :rolleyes:

I mean, I don't see a frying pan, bucket, stringer or cooler in that picture, just a kid holding a nice fish.

Care to tell us why you would bet on it being legally harvested in accordance with local regulations? I'm sure it would be enlightening.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here's my personal Illinois best largemouth bass, caught today at Skokie Lagoons.

I didn't measure it or weigh it because I was standing on a dam abuttment and my pack was too far away. I caught him on a swim jig and it was hooked in good, so the time I spent removing the hook was too great to worry about measurements, I had to get him back in the water for a safe release. :)2

·
Registered
693 Posts
That is a nice bass Abishak, the next one will hopefully be bigger!! Like previous guys have stated, a small tape measure or scale will tell you a fishes true size. I didn't see that a frying pan in that picture either!!!

·
Premium Member
5,974 Posts
If you don't want to carry a tape measure with you, you can mark the rod with tape. First measurement should be 14" from the rod butt because that is the legal size limit in IL. Then you can mark the rod in 1 or 2 inch increments which will give you a better idea of the actual length of the fish rather than guessing. To me, the fish looks around the 4lb mark.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Great catch kid!!!

Looks to be right around the 20 inch mark to me. It's probably a spawned-out female, which is why it's kind of skinny.

Solid 3 1/2 to 4 pound fish, but if she was fatter, she'd be well over 4 pounds.

Very respectable fish for any age angler. It's very important to not only release fish of that size, as they are the top breeders responsible for the well-being of future bass populations, but it's also important to release it so you can catch it again next year - when she's fat and 5 pounds!

Well done. Always practice catch, photograph, and release - CPR!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
maybe chuck thought it ended up in frying pan, because the kid has a gigantic right arm, with a huge hand on the end of it, and he would celarly need all the protein he could get, to keep that thing working.
apparently at the expense of his normal sized left arm.

my snarky way of wondering if this was photoshopped. it's a pretty big meaty hand that's holding the fish

If not, it's a great fish, and I would have wet myself if i had managed a bass that nice as a kid.

In absense of a tape measure, know your pole. IE - the rod handle/base is X # of inches long, it's X far from where handle connects to rod, to the first eye, etc. even if you have to measure when you get home, IE - fish was from base to the "A" in "falcon" on my rod... you'll have a pretty close measurement.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hahahaha! Who called photoshop - you win!

This photo has indeed been mashed up from at least two other photos. Not that I care but academically its always interesting when someone is intentionally deceitful. In this case, its not even a good editing and layering job. On close inspection this young master's right arm, the suspect one, has an unnatural right angle armpit (see attached close-up). Also the dorsal outline of the fish has a pixel or two left over from the prior photo. It shows in the photo as an unnatural white outline. There's other feeble attempts at blending.

Not a very good job but funny none-the-less! I wonder what the motivation was.

Ok junior, time to head back to class! Work harder at your digital photoeditting skills tho - right now I could only give you a "D" as a grade!

:rolleyes:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.