ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I was presented with the opportunity and great privilege to fish with CLF's one and only Bassin' Larry.

Not wanting to let Him down and with Sturgeon Bay occupied by the SBOBT, the decision was made to go check out LSC for the first time and give the smallies that live there a whirl.

En route we stopped somewhere around Battle Creek for some fuel and sustenance. When I went in, I was stopped dead in my tracks at the sight of this awesomeness.

The mammoth apple fritter. The mother of all apple fritters. All for the low, low price of $1.49. Cha ching.

I'm guessing it went close to 4lbs and if I was thinking straight I would have put it on the digital scale to confirm.

For me, the trip could have ended right then and there as I knew it would be difficult to top this.

Nonetheless,we pressed on and arrived at our destination, launching just north of 13 mile road.

Greeted by some wind and temps in the low to mid 50's, we started out fishing deeper (>10FOW) in search of some pre-spawn fish.

Day 2 with nicer conditions but more of the same, ho hum.

In ascending order in terms of their effectiveness, a Vision 110, Tubes and this little bait swum just ticking the bottom did the damage.

In summary, lots and lots and lots (did I mention lots?) of 4 - 5 lbers live here. Our work is done.

· Premium Member
3,195 Posts
Recently I was presented with the opportunity and great privilege to fish with CLF's one and only Bassin' Larry.

Camera
iPhone 5c

Focal Length
4.12mm

Aperture
f/2.4

Exposure
1/154s

ISO

Enjoy that Jackson. It was in the news last week, Obama is putting Harriet Tubman on the twenties soon. :mad:

Keep eating fritters like that and you will be the next tub, man.

Very nice fish! But that is not Bassin Larry. I used to see BassinLarry's mug shot on CLF a lot and that guy is not BassinLarry.

· Registered
790 Posts
I'm shocked you didn't run across a few muskies....should have trolled cranks for a couple hours...toothy critters would have been a sure thing
First off, Bassalaro's don't troll. Secondly, yeah, we ran across some worthless muskies, pike and northerns. They are the carp of Lake St Clair. :)3:)3:)3:)3:)3:)3:)3:)3

· Premium Member
814 Posts
First off, Bassalaro's don't troll. Secondly, yeah, we ran across some worthless muskies, pike and northerns. They are the carp of Lake St Clair. :)3:)3:)3:)3:)3:)3:)3:)3
I thought that pike and northern is the same species???? But i am still learning. .. Thanks for good lesson bASSALARRO. Maybe You can tell me main difference betwen those 2 different fish. ;)

· Registered
790 Posts
Also, we never targeted beds. Bunch of puds were trying to pull fish off of them. They could tell that we were disgusted by their douchanigans. We shamed them.

· Registered
790 Posts
I didn't know there is any difference between pike and northern???? But i am still learning. .
You hang on every word I write and just maybe, maybe one day you'll be half a 2sac.

· Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Nice fish Fluke and BL...:)2

Fluke,
I would like to see a pic or two of the giant Sheepdhead{s} you caught.
Hopefully you had the good sense to snap a pic or two...

· Premium Member
3,452 Posts
C'mon Fluke where's the pics of the Sheeps ?
Big Smallies are a dime a dozen.

Were they bigger than these ?

· Registered
81 Posts
Um. No. The Mi DNR don't play and if you check your regs, you'll see that pursuit of Muskies is a no no until the first weekend in June.
I'm well aware of the regulations, those were my stomping grounds from the time I was 5 years old...did you know that pike are perfectly legal? and that it's **** near impossible to keep the ski's away this time of year? And that trolling is a very effective manner in which to catch bass, walleye and pike? DNR cannot bust you for trolling...especially smallish cranks. You care to share with me the new bass regs for this year while you're at it?

· Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm well aware of the regulations, those were my stomping grounds from the time I was 5 years old...did you know that pike are perfectly legal? and that it's **** near impossible to keep the ski's away this time of year? And that trolling is a very effective manner in which to catch bass, walleye and pike? DNR cannot bust you for trolling...especially smallish cranks. You care to share with me the new bass regs for this year while you're at it?
Happy for ya man, glad you've been fishing there since you were 5. With fritters like that I'd have never moved. This was my first trip there. Thanks for the tip, but I don't troll. And when I'm bass fishing I could give a rats a$$ about pike. I'm sure trolling is fantastically effective; just not my cup of tea. Sounds like you are well versed in all the regs so I'm sure you really don't need me to regurgitate those for you. Good luck, look forward to your reports :)2 .

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.