ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the life of me and hours of searching on the web, I've only found about 3 pics of the mchenry dam. I wan't more pics I will fish it this year and wanna know what im in for, im a kayaker btw. So anyone who fishes it have a pic of the dam and the water below it?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ed, unfortunately thats one of the 2 or 3 I already saw. I guess its illegal to take pictures there?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Try Google maps and click on satelite view. It gives you a good idea of water above and below dam.

There is very strong current there so you'll want to make sure you have a good river anchor that has a retreival system that will unlock it from the boulders near the dam and the muck down river.

What do you want to fish the dam for when you have such great channels closer to where you live and won't have to fight current?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KP said:
Try Google maps and click on satelite view. It gives you a good idea of water above and below dam.

There is very strong current there so you'll want to make sure you have a good river anchor that has a retreival system that will unlock it from the boulders near the dam and the muck down river.

What do you want to fish the dam for when you have such great channels closer to where you live and won't have to fight current?
Thats a good question but I wan't cats, and I heard good numbers and better size by the dam. Also what channels are you talking about the chain's channels? Also thanks JD that helps alot. :)2

·
Registered
321 Posts
There are definitely good numbers of cats by the dam. But if I was in a kayak, I'd stick to the entry area to the locks rather than try to fish in the fast current.

Yeah, I was referring to channels on The Chain,, they're all over including very close to you. Even the Fox River heading north from Grass Lake is a beautiful stretch of river to kayak through the state park all the way up to Minot, Wisconsin. If it's Cats your after, lots of those chain channels and the river north have good numbers of them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KP said:
There are definitely good numbers of cats by the dam. But if I was in a kayak, I'd stick to the entry area to the locks rather than try to fish in the fast current.

Yeah, I was referring to channels on The Chain,, they're all over including very close to you. Even the Fox River heading north from Grass Lake is a beautiful stretch of river to kayak through the state park all the way up to Minot, Wisconsin. If it's Cats your after, lots of those chain channels and the river north have good numbers of them.
Sounds intriguing, I'll have to look into this when the weather comes around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts