ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm preparing for a trip to Ontario that will include fly fishing for pike. I have been several times before with mixed success. I'm hoping to make this trip better.

I use a 9 wt rod and line to throw big fuzzy flies but even that combination makes casting a waterlogged rabbit fur and maribou fly difficult. This year I'm going to try tying up some synthetic material flies of crystal flash and super hair to see if I can make the casting easier. I'm looking for patterns to tie. Any suggestions?

One problem I have is the size of the knots connecting the heavy leader to the line, the heavy leader to the tyable steel tippet and the huge knot of the steel tippet at the fly. The knots get caught in the guides and the whole thing spooks a lot of fish. There has got to be a better way to connect these heavy lines together. By the way, I used the same type of knots that I use on my 3 and 5 wt lines.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Mel

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Mel! I use 20# florocarbon for the leaders and craft hair to make the casting easier. Just up size your streamer, Dalberg Driver, and bunny patterns.
I go to Pelican Lake each early June for the Pike.. it's a blast.
For the knots i tie the same as for anything else, except i dont use a full clinch knot i only twist about 5 times.. it works great for me, hope you catch long fish!!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
k3flyguy said:
Hi Mel! I use 20# florocarbon for the leaders and craft hair to make the casting easier. Just up size your streamer, Dalberg Driver, and bunny patterns.
I go to Pelican Lake each early June for the Pike.. it's a blast.
For the knots i tie the same as for anything else, except i dont use a full clinch knot i only twist about 5 times.. it works great for me, hope you catch long fish!!!!
Have you had any problems with pike biting through the leader?

·
Registered
180 Posts
No problems with biting through leader... should i ? I started using that rig after reading about it in Pike on the Fly. Its easy to rig and super cheap! My biggest Northern on the Fly to date is 39"... not a beast but still a very nice tug on the long rod!!! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts