ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of any lakes that you can easily catch tons of pike? Would have to be less than 1 and a half hours away from southwest subs. i dont care how big they are they are fun to catch, if you hve been there for pike what did you use for bait and did u use a leader????

·
Registered
47 Posts
Pike

Lake Shannon, near Braidwood is loaded with Pike. Last season I was fishing with 6lb test & a white Crappie jig.... Hit a Pike (would'nt you belive it) that was 39" and 24lbs. Took me 25 minutes of praying to get him in. Thank goodness another troller came buy who had a big net! I owe those guys a case of beer but they did not leave their address!

I think the Crappie population has dwindled due to the Pike there though....

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I hear the same gripe about muskies. If there are pike that huge then the population is not super abundant. When somebody tells me that I tell them I have caught alot of muskies but never one with a belly as big as yours!

It's farther then you wish to travel but south spring lake south of pekin is the brood stock lake for northern pike. I would suspect there isn't a lake in illinois with a bigger population. Another option, again farther would be to research some good mississippi river backwater areas.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I can't help you with any lakes near you there as I don't fish Illinois much at all. But when I do fish for them I just use a baitcaster with powerpro 50lb. I direct tie to the lure and have never had a bite off and I fish a TON. I've caught many high 30 and a couple low 40" Northern w/o leaders using PowerPro.

Powerpro works great too because not all spinner baits have the closed eye on them for you to snap your swivel too. If they don't and you use the swivel/leader odds are pretty good you're going to bend the heck out of your spinner on any fish-on situation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.