ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

Plastic Helgamite Pics

4K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  JAP 
G
#1 ·
#3 ·
Been using Case plastics for over 10 years. Friend of mine used to be a dealer. I have a little short of a lifetime supply (probably 30 lbs.) of my favorites.
Their Magic Sticks (big and little) are what I use over Senko's.
Paddle Stick is a great finesse bait.
The larger Hellgi's caught my biggest Eyes in Canada last year. :)2

G
#5 ·
I agree,,, what is the point on using live Helgies?? Leave em in there for the smallmouth forage natural!!!Green Pumkin seems to work best around the area, Live bait fishing is for lazy peoples. And who really uses a bobber anyway.. Come on people

#6 ·
Gilbert Grape said:
Live bait fishing is for lazy peoples. And who really uses a bobber anyway.. Come on people
You haven't witnessed the fall Fox River crappie slaughter using bobbers. The bait: plastic helgie pieces. Learned it from Ed. Right up until the river freezes over when the "conventional" wisdom says minnows and larvae are a needed for crappies in the ice-cold water, the plastic helgies drive them bonkers. It's almost as fun as artificials for Weiner Dog Park perch. ;)

G
#7 ·
WOW I stand corrected then,,Sounds exciting can you tell me more?? Any smallies ever??I NEVER use a bobber not even a slip rig,,The guys would give me or anyone else hell over that, But I am open if it puts fish in the boat with ARTIFICIAL BAITS.. Live bait is cheating!!!! Unless it's with the kids :roll:

Thanks for the info and Good luck..

#8 ·
Gilbert Grape said:
WOW I stand corrected then,,Sounds exciting can you tell me more??
Previously posted, but...

Late season --- No live bait ---- Only soft plastics --- Mostly under a bobber

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j6Tjfs0PRlA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j6Tjfs0PRlA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

#11 ·
The very first time I learned of Case Hellgies was right here on CLF.
My very first toss with one was nailed by a nice smallie, and I was hooked.

Over the years, their ability to attract smallies seemd to wane, and I stopped using them.

In honor of Mr. Grape, I tied one on in the Kankakee River State Park this evening.
Didn't catch crap.

Back in the bag for a few more years.
:p

In reference to a previous thread that has since been locked, Mr. Grape states:
So on behalf of the Smallmouth Alliance of Illinois,,,Stop taking the Helgies!!
I happen to be the Conservation Director of the "Illinois Smallmouth Alliance", and can say with a great degree of certainty that we have not taken an official stance against using live hellgrammites as bait.
We are actively involved in macro invertebrate sampling activities and mentor youth in many facets of conservation, but the legal use of live bait isn't something we're currently looking to debate.
Just thought I'd make that clear, in case there were any misconceptions.

#12 ·
Mike, didn't your organization -the ISA put up the yellow signage regarding the closed season on keeping smallmouth bass?

I ask because I recall someone trying to take credit for this endeavor, claiming that they helped several Conservation Police Officers or other DNR employees "hang" these signs.

#14 ·
signs

Raptor,

The yellow C&R smallie signs and the white signs with the contact numbers are paid for by the ISA and put up by many of it's members myself and son included.

The larger yellow signs with the Walleye and Smallie regs were put up by myself one weekend some years back. I did it at the requst of an IDNR fisheries biologist and consulted wit IDNR CPO's as to where they would like them located. Out of the original 48 put up less than 30 are still in existance.

If the IDNR changes the walleye size limit next year I will again put up the new signs if they so request. I have already told Gary Lutterbie I would do it for him.

BTW, the white signs were Mike's idea.

#15 ·
Re: signs

Creekyknees said:
Out of the original 48 put up less than 30 are still in existance.
:x

Yes, I have seen quite a few of them broken/missing.
I gave Mike a heads-up about this when I noticed some broken at some of my usual spots, shortly after they were put up initialy.
I also offered to replace these if he needed assistance in covering those areas that I frequent.

DARN KIDS! (I'm getting old)

#17 ·
There are a few ways to rig them actually. You can rig them on a split shot rig with a #6 or #8 bait holder hook or any finesse hook you prefer by going through the nose and out past the head of the bait. Keep the split shot about a foot up from the bait and experiment with the length as conditions change. You can also rig them on a super finesse slider jig or lead head to keep them closer to the bottom, but snags will happen more often. There is also the option of floating them under a bobber. Rig them like any other live bait option when using a bobber. Another cool trick to give them a little more action, which they lack, is to wacky rig them on a split shot rig so that when the line is pulled to move the bait, they will bend in half with the pull to look like they are "swimming". This is as close as you can get to making them look natural. Also when throwing the split shot rig, try not to work them too fast. Lifting up and allowing them to drift is the best way to get strikes. They are not fast creatures by nature and keeping it"real" is the best way.

#19 ·
Got my shipment Today.

I order a variety of Large and Small plastic helgramites from Case Plastics just to add to my tackle. I will continue to hunt for Live Helgies so that I can one day be as versatile as Local when fishing K3. Case even sends a bag of freebies for doing business with them.

1 x LiL' Hellgrammites 2"- Black (871994001607) = $2.00
1 x LiL' Hellgrammites 2"- Chartreuse Pumpkin (871994001638) = $2.00
1 x LiL' Hellgrammites 2"- Smoke Red Gold (871994001645) = $2.00
1 x Large Hellgrammites 3 3/4"- Watermelon Red (871994000648) = $2.50
1 x Large Hellgrammites 3 3/4"- Chartreuse Pumpkin (871994000693) = $2.50
1 x Large Hellgrammites 3 3/4"- Natural (871994000624) = $2.50
1 x Large Hellgrammites 3 1/4"- Black (871994000617) = $2.50
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $16.00
Table Rate (Best Way): $3.50
Total: $19.50

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.