ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
I would recommend 4-6" Senkos rigged wacky style. If not those than some Fluke minnow baits rigged texas style with no weight fished like a jerkbait. Those are the two most productive patterns for me on the forest preserve ponds by me. I'll usually be catching fish while nobody else is doing much with live bait.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Yup, Senko style worms rigged wacky style is my first approach to most water. I'll toss black/silver floating Rapalas and small white spinnerbaits too, but those Senko style worms are the only thing you really need.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I throw an unweighted 6" Sticko(BP Senko) rigged weedless in Junebug color and a 7" Berkley Bungee worm texas rigged with a light sinker..
When the bass are near or on the beds a 6-8" floating lizard Carolina rigged gets alot of big fish..
As for other lures I use a 1/2z Rat-l-trap(red) and 1/2z white dbl blade spinnerbaits

·
Registered
489 Posts
So many ways to go at it. Here are a few of my favs:

Shoreline weeds that protrude to the surface, or just below: Manns Hardnose frog, rigged texas style, weightless on a 5/0 wide Gap EWG Superline hook. Baitcast gear with strong line works best. Swim and or jerk this bad boy across the surface, and hang on. After the implosion, be sure to take up any slack, and be sure you feel the fish before slamming home the hardest hookset of your life. sometimes pausing and letting it sink, especially when you get to an open hole is very effective. I typically use dark colors for this, usually black, regardless of water clarity.

Submerged weeds: Yum Dingers (same as senkos, but more wallet freindly). Rigged texas style weightless. Twitch, and long pause, or rapid twitches, or something inbetween. Expirement until you get a hit. Usually, the twitch with long pause gets the most hits for me. They hit it while it sinks. I also do this exact same thing with Yum Huodini Shads (same as Fluke). Also very effective. I base colors on water clarity, but usually can get away with the Green and white laminate in just about any water color. I usually fish the 5" version with a 3/0 or 4/0 EWG hook. I use either a spinnning rod or baitcaster, depending on how thick the weeds are.

Deeper water, or very inactive fish: Texas rigs, Carlonia Rigs, and Tube Jigs. Heavy weeds: Texas Rig, Medium weeds: Carlonia Rig, and weedless: jigs (tube jig, jig worm, etc). Here there is much to choose from, but my favs are either a standard 6"-7.5" ribbon tail worm, and Tubes. I usually try both, and end up sticking more with the one that gets the first bite or two. Colors, based off water clarity again: Clear = natural colors, and stained equals somewhat darker or brighter colors, and dirty water equals gaudy colors and large profiles.

Hope this helps!

O.F.F.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Another point that I think holds merit to this conversation is that in the spring "dead sticking" your baits can be deadly. What I mean by this if you don't know is leaving your bait sit on the bottom for long periods of time. I've had the greatest success with this technique texas rigging a senko or similar bait. I cast it out as far as I can and let it sink to the bottom. Once on the bottom I jerk it a couple times and then let it sit for at least 30 seconds sometimes over a minute before jerking it again. This finesse approach can be deadly on finicky bass.

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
4" hula grub rigged texas with a 2/0 bass hook and a 1/4 weight. or a 4" senko rigged weightless. or throw some cranks like a Mann's minus 1 in chartruese

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Lure for Largmouth Bass

I generally use rattletrap lures first. I have good luck with brown and also with the blue one. If the largemouth aren't aggressive then I go to the Senkos as others stated.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My favorite is watermellon colored Senkos, wacky rigged.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would dropshot it first with a closed hook, and the senko works well to. or try texas rigging an 8" worm very slowly it wont hang up and it will pull them out of the grass. Good luck. Scott

1 - 14 of 14 Posts