ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Edit/Delete this post Delete this post
Just got back from three day trip to the mighty Mississip.

Day one with a guide, Lee Fluekiger started out badly. Massive cold front sat down on us. Bluebird skies and 25 degrees. By noon we had three smallish walleye/saugers in the boat. Not my idea of a hot bite.

Went in for lunch and in the afternoon, caught 8 more. Nothing larger than 20 inches, mostly sauger in the 16 inch range. Dropped the guide off at 5:00, took my boat and went back out and fished for perch. Found a nice hole but got dark and they shut down. Caught three of about 10-12 inches.

That night we got five inches of snow and more 26 degree weather! Talk about brutal! 10-15 mph winds with a driving snow all day on Friday. We managed to catch twenty five perch up to 1.1 LB in a short time. Luckily some guys came over to see what we were catching and we asked what the limit was and they said ten each. We didn't know how many we had so we started counting and wound up at twenty five. Threw back the two smallest, gave the guys the three over the limit and vacated the spot so they could catch their limit. I even gave them four of my jigs and plastic bodies that were catching the fish. Hope they limited out.

We then went to vertical jigging for walleye/sauger. Finally wound up the day early with five. Froze, frostbitten, three inches of snow in the boat, a lot of it packed down to ice where we walked on it all day. FUN!!!

Last morning we got out late fished for about three hours, caught 7 perch and one walleye. They weren't cooperating for us at all. saw some locals catch a few, but out of the fifteen boats drifting the stretch of river where we were, it wasn't much. We knocked it off and headed back about noon.

The water was unbelievably clear, probably three to four feet visibility. I didn't know it got that clear.

All in all, an ok trip.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fishin the Mississipi

We stayed four miles north of town at the Cedar Ridge Lodge. We had a cabin that cost $75.00 a night.

I would definitely stay there again. We had everything you'd have at home. Cable TV, microwave, coffee maker, washer, dryer, (which worked out great for us as one guy slipped off the dock and into the water). Dried all his clothes before we went out the next day. One day we were in a driving (wet, very wet) snowstorm. Stove, refrigerator etc.

Very warm and friendly place.

We never got to meet Wes the owner. We got in late, got up early to go fishing, he left town for the weekend, so we just left the check for three days stay in the fridge when we left, turned the heat down to fifty, locked the doors and came on home.

I don't have the phone number handy. Just do a search for Cedar Ridge lodge in Nelson, Wisconsin and you'll get the info.

Good luck if you go.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
It's a bummer when you go out and get all excited and then mother nature gets you!! Sounds like a nice place to stay, might have to keep that in mind.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It sounds like the 2 of you beared down on some brutal weather; however you definitely saw some decent perch and it's a shame with the eyes. The lodge you stayed at sounds like a great place for a weekend fishing trip.

My take on your trip (I know you're disappointed) is I'd rate as a 7/10 only because of the fact the guide you hired at least showed you some sopts to go to later (incudes this trip and future trips) ad hopefully showed you tips on catching the Sauger and Eyes.

-Kyle

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mother nature

The guide worked hard for us. As any fisherman knows, when Mother Nature tells the fish to shut off, they shut off. We probably beat more fish on the head with our lures than we caught. My first sauger I actually snagged in the fin. (Don't ask if I released it cause I'll just plead the Fifth).

And yes, the guide did show us spots and HOW to catch the fish with what were the common rigs for that area.

I think my main disappointment came when I found out that a couple of local fisherman lied to us, inadvertently or on purpose, I don't know, and will give them the benefit of lacking knowledge of the local regulations themselves, when they told us the limit for perch was ten each.

We had already shown them WHAT we were using and actually given them four jig/body setups so they could catch fish also. We then gave them the (what we thought were fish we had over the limit) extra fish and vacated the spot so they could slide in and catch fish. Imagine our disappointment when we returned home, did a search on Wisconsin regs and found the limit to be 25 instead of 10.

Well, live and learn. Know the rules before you go. Also, curious, the regs say five walleye/sauger. The guide had told us six. I think before I go back up, I'll have to do some more searching on the limits for the Mississippi River as they may be different.

Anybody know for certain?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hope the ol man didn't beat you up to bad. It was nice seeing you guys on the river. I only manged 1 good fish that night. After I left you guys at night I went to the other side of the river got them over there. The water temp over there was about 3 degrees warmer so the fish moved. It weird when the river does that and lot of people miss that small detail.

The regs for walleye and sauger are 6 in boundary waters. I think 5 is for inland water. I have been keeping 6 walleyes/sauger in the boat for many years and been checked countless number of times.

The perch limit is 25. Those perch are there every year. They are fun to play with.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Matt's pic posts

Matt, YOU'RE THE BEST !!

THANKS A BUNCH

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Jarrad

I went back into the regs and specifically the Mississippi. You guys are right as I should have known.

Wish we could've had a little more conducive weather to fish in, but, hey! that's why they call it fishing and not "catching"!

I still had an awesome time and would love to do it again....soon. I'll just have to let fishing get in the way of workin, that's all.

Best of luck to all of the Fluekiger's, kids, You and Lee.

Say Hi to Doreen and Lee for us.

Merv and (The Swimmer) Jack

·
Registered
171 Posts
Me and my group fished the float this weekend.....all four seasons in 36 hours of fishing!!!!

The river is high but doable.....

We bagged 10 different species and the huge ones were white bass, smallies and the perch. Tough walleye bite and the saugers were someplace else.

Mostly good counts on all....bottom line is we brought home fish!!!!

River rigs with a barrel weight, glass bead, a good brass two-way swivel, 14 inches of leader and a gamagatsu narrow hook...crawlers or minnows....that simple!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts