ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We tried our luck at the dam the past couple of days. The recent rains have started the river rising and it should continue to rise through the weekend. We fished yellow perch and had good success with 1/16oz jigs and tipped glo ez plastics. We had several jumbos over 13 inches long.The hot color was chartruese.The best presentation was a short cast and slow jig and pause routine.We also fished a split shot rig with a piece of crawler on the bottom with a second rod. We picked up several nice walleye on the jigging rod while we perch fished.The perch have not spawned yet and I do not think the walleyes have either. Good fishing! :)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Thanks for the good report! Those are some NICE perch! You normally get them that big out there? I know of some huge gills and crappies, but didn't know the perch were of that caliber.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The perch fishing has come on strong the past several years. The perch run at about the same time the walleyes do so this gives fishermen an extra option if one species isn't biting that day.As far as size goes they average about 9 to 11 inches with jumbos topping 15 inches being reported.I tried to post some pics of the jumbos we caught but could not figure out how to add pics to the report.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fishing report for 4-13-08

We fished by the Dresbach dam on Sunday morning. The place was crowded with fishermen as the weather was finally getting nice outside. The river is still rising and should crest in a couple days just under floodstage if we do not get anymore rain.The bite was a little slow but we picked up about 15 perch for a meal. The walleyes are still hitting and so are the notherns. We soaked worms on a split shot rig and castd 1/16 oz jigs tipped with glo ez plastics for the perch.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
With nice weather this week, I'm sure there's going to be a bunch of people out by the river I fish also.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
White bass run is on!!!

We fished from shore at the dam at Dresbach on Sunday 4/27/08. The walleyes have slowed down some but the white bass have moved in and were hitting really good. We pitch a double rig with a 1/4 oz jig on the bottom tipped with a glo ez walleye worm and a 1/16 oz jig on the top tipped with a glo ez perch tail. The majority of the white bass hit on the smaller jig and tail. The river is still high and is expected to rise some more still. See ya on the water!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fishing report 5-17-08

We fished the Dresback Dam from shore for a few hours today. The river is dropping quickly but is still several feet above normal levels. We fished our ultralight poles today and targeted panfish. My fishing partner, the Big Jig, caught a 17 inch walleye right away and it gave a good battle on the light 4 lb line. There are many different species of fish at the dam right now and we caught bluegill, crappie, drum, bass, northerns, walleye and perch today. We kept the one walleye and 6 bluegill to make a meal and released the rest of our catch. We used 1/32 oz jigs and Glo ez original gloworms rigged on a double rig. The best color was a white or light blue worm. The panfish bite is just heating up and should be red hot for awhile now. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts