ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of my buddies went out in the AM and got 19 at the mouth of the port trolling smaller taildancers. The 19 fish included a 14lb chinook. Weather didnt look to bad so I went out at about 130PM til dark. Had fun fishing in the snow and rain and waves, thank god for gore tex. Anyhow didnt get any fish at the mouth and had only a few hits in the port. More or less had the place to ourselves, probably cause me and my partner are both insane to be out like that. So we tried the discharge at the back of the port and the Big browns were stacked up in there pretty good and were cooperating on white jigs and tubes. Got a limit of all nice browns, 4 to 7 lbs and yours truly got a pig , 30 inchs and about 14lbs.Cant be sure, got to find one of those formulas for type of fish times length equals weight. Got a 36 incher last year that was 16 and a half so that what I was using as a guide. Any how we had fun and let them all go except one that was hooked in the gills. FYI when we launched Portage Fire Dept, Coast Guard and Marina Police everywhere. A boat with 4 guys capsized in the mouth of the ditch trying to turn back due to the waves and his motor died. Guess his boat didnt turn over until it was close to shore cause nobody died , just got wet. When we went out boat was upside down in the waves on shore getting pounded pretty good and somebody was trying to get a rope on it to tow it back to the launch. As long as I walked away alive Id kiss it good bye and buy byself a new one for surviving.

·
Registered
126 Posts
:)2 Those are nice fish Striper. Did you tip the twisters with squid?

I have got to get out this week. Work, work, work......

·
Registered
92 Posts
Read about the boating mishap in The Times this morning. Seems their motor stalled outside the mouth and the boat got swamped. Luckily they were only ten feet from shore when the boat sank and they walked through waist deep water to get to shore.The Times says they were out there in a 16ft. johnboat!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts