ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where to find information about powerline set-ups on the web? My searches have not found anything. I know the best way to get information is to talk to people, but I'd like to have the right equipment with me before I go out. Thanks.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Thanks Marc I was looking for that.

fish4head, the bait shop in montrose harbor sells a starter kit. Check it out, then walk out to the shoe and give it a go. No matter how you do you're sure to be more prepared for your next trip.
Hoist 'em,
Gus

G

·
The hardest part about this is knowing when to release the weight when your throwing it out...You also won't need as long of a rubberband if your throwing the weight out as opposed to shooting it out....

G

·
Gus, hope you don’t mind that I plagiarized your post but it seemed appropriate considering the rest of the thread.

Quote:

Thanks to all of you for your wise words. I have to admit, sometimes this forum makes me lazy. I went looking for someplace closer to home than henry's, and the first place I called in the yellow pages knew exactly what I was looking for. For all you northwest suburban anglers out there, Dependable Fire Equipment Inc. located in buffalo grove will deliver a 5# refurbished CO2 tank for $75. That's right delivered, to my work in my case. The lady on the phone was most pleasant and knew just what I was looking for. Thanks again for the replies.
Gus

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the help. I guess what I am really looking for is info on how to shoot out the weight, instead of throwing. Am I right in assuming that people use the same type of device as the pneumatic powered spud guns? On these I can find all sorts of information on the web. I'll also pick up that starter kit for the fishing tackle. I probably don't want to use the stuff that's been in my basement for thirty years;)

·
Registered
845 Posts
Marc, someone once said imitation is the greatest form of flattery. I couldn't agree more. Feel free to quote all my stuff you can stand to read.

Fish4head, that sound like a good start. As far as the weight shooting is concerned, there are as many variations of the launcher as there are folks that fish. Basically, it involves using a carbon dioxide filled fire extinguisher connected to a tube of some sort. The weights that are used are cylindrical in shape; the diameter being just under 1 inch. The tube I use is pvc and around 3.5 feet long. Finding various adapters and reducers at the hardware store, I connected the tube to the tank. Don't forget to use a packing of some sort at the "breach" under your lead or the pressure will shred your knots. I use good old scotts toilet paper. I've stated before, the best way to really catch on is to see it done. You don't need the tank right away. With your starter kit, you can throw your weight, or maybe find a fellow angler to shoot it for you. Boy, am I ever ramblin' on! I'll be at montrose saturday morning. Best of luck.

Hoist 'em!
Gus

·
Registered
268 Posts
How many launches can you reasonably expect from a full 5lb tank?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Angler101, there are alot of guys that shoot at montrose on the weekend. I'll be there saturday morning, nice and early. Out on the horse shoe is generally where people shoot out, although I guess there might be someone on the golf course side of the harbor entrance. I got no hair on my head and wear a dark blue knit hat. Maybe I'll see you out there.

amused, the lady on the phone told me a 5 pound tank on a full charge will shoot about 35 times. They also sell a 10 pounder that gets 70 shots, but I've heard their kind of heavy. (samiches, chuckle chuckle)

Hoist 'em,
Gus

·
Registered
78 Posts
Can someone tell me what powerlineing is. I've trolled on the lake for 15 yrs. in Manitowoc Wi and I've never heard of this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts