ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody out there fish Pratt? I've been a few times last year & once this year. Last year I saw a 5lb + LGM pulled out of there (golden roach), & I've managed a few 2lb+. I heard the pressure on the main lake has hurt it? I haven't been skunked there yet, and the place is really a beautiful spot to spend a day, (despite the NO ALCOHOL rule!)... and they WILL check!! I'm new to the site, so I'm just getting my feet wet. Would be interested in any info on Pratt.
Thanx
P.S. Just a short fish story... I was at Pratt a couple of weeks ago & was trying out my new baitcaster. I tied on a buzz bait, mainly because that is what that rig will be used for. Not expecting any top water action that early in the season, I whipped it out there. When the buzz got about 15 ft from shore... Whamm!!!! I got a good look at the LGM sow that blasted it, about 3lb+ !! I did what was natural, only to discover that I had forgot to set the drag!!! :sad: She spit it out stinger hook & all. My wife had a field day with me on that one!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I usualy drive by P.W. Woods on my way home from work. I have fished it in the past and have caught some small bass. I should give it a try in the upcoming weeks. I have only fished the main lake and not any of the back lakes. I'll keep ya' posted.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Pratts Wayne was my fishing home before I moved close to the city 2 years ago. That's great that you got some big bass out of there. My biggest, and I caught a lot of bass there, was 16". Its a fun place to fish. Hit the back lakes...mainly Beaver Slough(The small one closest to the main lake), and HorseTail...the furthest back. That's where I get most of my bass. When the weeds grow in, the place is a bass-madhouse.

Mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was there again last weekend. Just a couple of buck bass, but saw a guy pull a 5 lber out (LM) from the main lake right where the creek feeds in. The guy had his two kids with him & a soon as he caught it, he told them to "pack it up" we're having bass tonight for supper! Was the biggest I've seen so far come outta there, now, she's outta there! She was damn near busting open from roe! What a shame! To each his own I guess?

·
Registered
401 Posts
And people wonder why there is no good fishing in Illinois. JK, there is plenty of good fishing but a bass like that could have gone back in. The younger ones are so much more tender and better tasting if fileting one up is your thing. I could see it going on the wall maybe but not on the dinner plate.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I've fished Pratt since I was a kid. Used to be a lot better. Before they renovated the whole thing. Now you can't go on 50% of the main lake....Sandhill Crane nesting ground.....I've traveled the main lake hundreds of times as a kid, never once saw a nest. Some of my best spots are now on restricted grounds. Anyways, was up there past 2 days. Crappies are bedding and hitting hard. caught 2 bass in 2 days albeit small. Funny thing about Pratt is you can see an 8lb. LM bedding in the rocks right below your feet, damn near reach out and touch em', but can't catch any of em'. throw the kitchen sink at them, no response guaranteed! They have been well conditioned! Nice place to spend a day though.

Directions:
Route 20 W to Barrington/ County Farm Rd. S to Stearns Ave. W to Powis. S on Powis.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Dont even try to fish for the bass cause they're spawning. if u catch a spawning bass, that means there will be less future fish in the lake cause the gill will eat all the fry'n'eggs. And if u keep the fish, thats one less i cant catch. practice C&R people! anyways, I was out there last week fishing for cats...anyone got any pointers? i was at catfish pond, using shad on circle hooks around wood. NOT A THING!!!!! i need some flatheads!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.