ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips on preventing freezer burn on fish that might just happen to sit in the back of the freezer for a while?? I store on baggies, squeezing out as much air as I can. Anything I can do, short of getting one of the vacuum sealing devices? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Put water in the bag with the fish. then Put it in the freezer. This preserves them better and they will last longer in the freezer. I have done always done this and never had a problem. I just fried up some fish I caught from last August and it was darn tasty

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
VACUM SEALER ALL THE WAY :)2
Bought it at Costco years back & the best investment IMO for freezing stuff, storing, etc.etc.

I buy ammo primers in bulk. 4yrs. ago I made a HUGE purchase at Knob Creek, machine gun shoot. Got a vendors deal since I was with a vendor & have enough primers to last me at least another 5/6 years, :eek: Not a doomsday theory, I just shoot ALOT. Keeping them in the garage by my work bench/reloading It's a shure proof method, all primers are vacumed sealed. But then my garage is heated & never gets below 50deg. :eek: But protects them from high humidity during the Summer.

Can't smoke a GOOD CIGAR in the cold. ;)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I've been wrapping whatever meat I freeze in clear plastic wrap first then put the meat in a good ziploc bag. It totally works out for a good amount of time. I generally rotate the freezer regularly. It's cheap and it works :)2

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I'm also of the quality ziploc / add some water / get all the air out theory.
Never had any freezer burn, but then again, it doesn't usually stay in the freezer too long. ;)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all. Seems water is the way to go, since I'm too lazy to work with the vacuum sealer. Got the same advice on a great ozarks site, so that's the ticket for this year. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I began using the water in the bag thing about 10 years ago. Best thing I ever did. As a matter of fact, a package of fish got buryied in the back of the freezer for over two years. I thawed it, and it was like just caught fish.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
For fish, I freeze in a zip filled with water. If there's a barrier of ice all around the fish it's impossible for any air to get in. I've been meaning to buy a Vac-sealer though for meats. But, for fish the water/bag thing works just as good if not better.

To take things one step further, purchase a small CHEST freezer. They're not frost-free like your fridge/freezer along with almost all the uprights. That constant (frost-free) cycling aids in premature freezer-burn. They're a bit of a pain fishing through things to get to your stuff, but food will keep MUCH longer in a chest freezer vs. an upright. An added bonus is it's next to impossible to accidentally leave a chest freezer open. Cheaper than uprights too. And you can save by buying in bulk...

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
FishArt said:
For fish, I freeze in a zip filled with water. If there's a barrier of ice all around the fish it's impossible for any air to get in. I've been meaning to buy a Vac-sealer though for meats. But, for fish the water/bag thing works just as good if not better.

To take things one step further, purchase a small CHEST freezer. They're not frost-free like your fridge/freezer along with almost all the uprights. That constant (frost-free) cycling aids in premature freezer-burn. They're a bit of a pain fishing through things to get to your stuff, but food will keep MUCH longer in a chest freezer vs. an upright. An added bonus is it's next to impossible to accidentally leave a chest freezer open. Cheaper than uprights too. And you can save by buying in bulk...
Very good advice.

One of the best purchases I've ever made way back when...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've been using a food saver for 20 years It's the only way to keep stuff frozen without burn. Vacuum seal in the flavors. Plus it works great to store stew for your camping trip. Just boil in the bag!!

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
Over 12 years freezing fish in water like stated worked pretty darned good, but then I went to the vacuum sealer. :eek:

Wow, whether it be fish, smoked fish, fresh venison, jerky, sausage,..................you name it, vaccum packing is the only way! :)2

And.........as far as compact, and getting far more in your freezer, you can't beat the vacuum packer for making great use of the space in your freezer! ;)

Just another suggestion, "don't bury your vacuum packer and it won't be a major chore to get it out!" In fact, I usually wait for the wife to ask (or sometimes tell! ;) ) me to put it away I use it so much! :lol:

Never even gave the thought to using for primer storage Nik. Great idea!But then I store all of my powder, primers in a cabinet with the Golden Rod going, so I think I'm ok. :-D

I too am restricted to the garage for the cigars! Thankful to have heat there for sure! ;)

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Captain Jim said:
And.........as far as compact, and getting far more in your freezer, you can't beat the vacuum packer for making great use of the space in your freezer! ;)
Never even thought of that Jim, I've gotta get me one of these as freezer space is somewhat limited. So, what's the best one to buy and where can I buy one for the best price???

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
Shop around Marty, they are like water heaters and some other products. All made by 3-4 companies, all comparable in features and price. Look for them on sale at Kohls, Sam's Club, even Walmart, Sears.

Food Saver and Rival are two of the more popular consumer models. They are not that expensive, and when you consider the cost of our hobbies (fishing and hunting) and wanting to enjoy the table fare, well worth the money.

Heck, it's the cost of the rolls of bag material that they get you on. Buy in bulk is what I say. I know Iam going to use the stuff!

I did all my upland game this way last year, all my venison and fish as well. Far more room in the freezer using this meathod for sure. The one tip I will provide rightup front is allow your fish, birds or whatever, to dry off as best you can, even if you have to blot them with paper towels.

If you do not do this, and have the food too wet, it is difficult to get a good seal on the first attempt, and causes you to be drying the bag and resealing everything. Far easier to just dry off what you are packing in my opinion! :)2

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
That reminds me Jim - After 15 years here I'm still on my original water heater - lol!

Thanks for the advice. My B-day is coming up next month. I got the wife a pooper-scooper for her B-day, maybe she can return the favor and splurge to get me a Food Saver for my B-day!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts