ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please excuse my ignorance here. I've searched the archives and came up with a goose-egg.

My question is: What do you folks do with your turkey after killing and tagging? I'm an avid hunter and have cleaned many pheasants and ducks and was wondering what you folks would recommend for turkey.

Also, I was thinking of having a tail-fan mount done too if I can still keep the meat and skin it myself. Any suggestions here? Also, any good recipes out there? I was also wondering about the taste - is it comparable to a store-bought?

I know I've just probably jinxed myself but I like to be prepared. This will be my first time chasing gobblers. I'll be hunting on 40 acres with another friend (also a beginner)and have permission for the adjacent 80. FYI, during deer-gun season last year we saw approximately 150 turkey on my buddy's 40 acres over a two day period. (No, that's not a typo). Funny thing is, he bought the acreage for deer hunting (which is also great) and we kinda fell into the turkey thing - cool huh?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I breast mine out. As a matter of fact I made some yesterday on the grill. I cut the breast into strips and marinated overnight in a commercial terriyaki marinate. Puncture the strips with a fork to let the marinade sink in. Don't overcook,it's has nowhere near the fat as a domestic one.Drumsticks too sinewy.Good luck! Also it's not uncommon to see that many birds together in the fall. They bunch up. My brother made a video of about 30 birds flying up to roost in the tree he was deerhunting in about 5 years ago in Brown County.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you want a pro to do it, call him and ask him. If you do it with a kit, they come with instructions. To get the fan off I just cut the tail section off making sure I don't cut any of the ends. You'll be able to feel where they come to an end under the skin.I have one fan I did myself and it looks fine to me. I really just save the beards. My brother had a whole bird done in a flying mount that looks nice. Make sure you have enough room on the wall as it takes up more space then a deer head.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.