ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 triton 189 walleye boat with a 200 hp hpdi on a 6 inc hydraulic jack plate. I have a 24 pitch tempest plus on there now, but am thinking of going with a 23 or 24 trophy to get me on plane quicker with a couple of guys on board. Does anybody have advice or similar experience with this? Thanks

·
Registered
321 Posts
Dropping down in pitch will get you on plane faster whether using a four blade or three blade prop. Depending on where your RPM's are now at full tweek will depend on how much pitch you need to drop going from three to four blades. I'm not a big fan of performance props on walleye boats but your jack plate helps you get the max out of those props. The trick will be to make sure you don't over rev when you don't have a full load on the boat. Jacking down 3/4" should prevent that. You will lose a little top end with the Trophy but it shouldn't be much.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
prop

Thanks guys, I went with a 25 pitch high five. We'll see how it works.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I went to Basa marine and the service guy Scott is great! Call him and ask him. I don't work there or no connection, just had great service experience with him.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yep....I have to agree. Basa has superb service group !!
I don't have one of their brand of boats but they have always serviced my boat with a smile and done superb work QUICKLY.
I prefer them over almost any other dealer (including the one that sold me my boat !)

·
Registered
321 Posts
I hope you are happy with your prop selection. But if you are looking for better hole shot in that rig than what you are getting from a 3 blade 24 pitch prop, why are you going with more pitch and 2 additional blades. That will most likely result in a reduction of 600 rpm. In a typical situation, that means reduced hole shot. The jack plate will enable you to make up for some of that, but the Hi Five is traditionally a ski prop for ski rigs. If you really want a 5 blade, 21 or 22 pitch may be the better application.

I want to stress, my opinion is not based on any personal experience with a Hi Five or any five blade prop. Only the operating theories behind props in general.

Good luck and please post your results.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
prop

I know what you are saying, I am going on the advice of the marina that sold me the boat. I hate playing prop roulette. Apparently a lot of people are going with the high five with glass walleye boats due to the heavy rear end of these boats. We'll see this spring.

·
Registered
321 Posts
As long as the dealer is willing to replace the prop in case it doesn't perform as desired, you should be OK. Many marine dealers will do that. It sure beats paying a cheaper price from an online retailer only to find out the prop doesn't do what you want it to. Been there, done that! :roll:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts