ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weather looks snotty for the Nekoosa/Petenwell area over the weekend. In fact it sounds downright perfect for Spring walleye. So..... I'll be headed up Friday nite, hoping to find an all-night baitshop somewhere over the border so I don't put stinky IL water in WI..... (wait doesn't the WI river run into the Fox Chain...... :-? )

Planning to sleep a couple hours in the truck before getting the boat wet. Where's the best place to launch upriver from Petenwell? I'd imagine by this time the walleye are still amidst their spawning behaviors and could be caught up and down the banks.

Anyone know of a bait place on the way up through 39 that would be open after 9pm? How about a nice launch site? Any other suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
531 Posts
You sound like an experienced Petenwell fisherman. I don't know the water at all, but I need a place to break in the motor on my new Ranger 620. I store it up that way, and want a nice large and (most importantly) rock and obstruction-free lake. I need to run it for 2 hours. Then I'll feel better !
Does this lake fit that description ?

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When the ice thaws...... :roll:

J/K, there are counties that the continue to stay open during the "closed" period in Spring.

It's hard to answer your question because depending upon how you interpret it, it never really "closes" everywhere.

·
Registered
64 Posts
AAAV8OR said:
You sound like an experienced Petenwell fisherman. I don't know the water at all, but I need a place to break in the motor on my new Ranger 620. I store it up that way, and want a nice large and (most importantly) rock and obstruction-free lake. I need to run it for 2 hours. Then I'll feel better !
Does this lake fit that description ?

Thanks
I grew up on Petenwell. We still have a house on the lake. I would not suggest that lake for a 2 hour break-in period if you're not familiar with it. It's a man-made lake so you'll be out in the middle running around in 10' of water and 30' later you'll be in 2' of water. Petenwell and the flowage/river North to the Nekoosa Dam have claimed MANY lower units. If you want 2 hours of toot your horn running w/o any worries. I'd check out Winnebago.

Where do you keep your boat?

·
Registered
64 Posts
ffishman said:
When does the Wis. open water season start?
Hwy 10 splits Wisconsin into a Northern Zone and Southern Zone.

For most gamefish (excluding musky) the season opens the first Saturday in May to the first Sunday in March of the following year. Unless you're on the Wisconsin river then you can fish them continuous iirc.

Musky is the Northern & Southern Zone one.

The Southern Zone (South of Hwy 10) opens the first Saturday in may and goes till November 30th.

The Northern Zone (North of Hwy 10) opens the Saturday nearest Memorial day and runs till November 30th.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The Pete is not exactly obstruction free. It has bad shallow stump feilds and because its windswept and shallow, it can turn nasty fast. At the PMTT a few years ago, I watched laura Morrison and Tony Grant get their trolling motor ripped off their 620 by a huge wave.

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Lake Geneva might be a great place to run that new boat. No timber, no rocks, no floating debris. And we know its deeeeep ! And it's a lot closer.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yeah....Geneva is where I broke in my last new Ranger in 2004.
Problem is I now store my boat way up north.
I think I am headed to Lake Wissota in EauClaire.

Need to shake loose the work schedule though. I have been gone more than usual. Rain and cold this weekend up north so I'll wait till after the opener.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts