ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

saw this over at Shabbona Lake Forums :
<a href=http://www.shabbonalake.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3710>Show your support - LET THE WEEDS GROW!! </a>.

hoping to get at least 100 individuals who support this idea, they are about half way there. sign up and post!

thanks!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I am in support of spraying the weeds to get rid of the millfoil. The arguement that this is a non-native lake so weeds are non-native is not a good arguement. It promotes the spread of this weed from boats using the lake. Not good. This lake used to have coontail and cabbage in it. By ridding the lake of millfoil, it will give the other "native to the area" weeds a chance to come back. I have seen this work first hand on other lakes.

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
Don't you just love a post that they tell you right off that any dissenting opinions will be deleted? What about an open discussion? If you get 100 names does that truly represent the opinion of the fishing public? How many are there against the idea that are not allowed to post?
Certainly weeds are a needed habitat, but the Shabbona anglers have to look beyond their own fishery. The DNR is trying to control not only the growth of milfoil on the lake but more importantly, the SPREAD of the plant to other lakes. If all boaters were diligent in treating their bilges, this would not be an issue, but unfortunately this is not the case and the more eurasion milfoil that grows in Shab, the more likely the plant will continue it's spread to other lakes currently not infested. I wasn't allowed to post, but I would have voted to support the DNR's efforts!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Weeds will inhabit the lake. it just will not be millfoil if they kill it. With that said, you have timber, foundations, cribs and all the little man made stuff guides have put in for themselves. Even without weeds which there won't be, there is plenty of habitat in shabbona.

·
Administrator
4,272 Posts
Has a lake that size ever have millfoil successfully eradicated? All I know is they keep dumping chemicals in the Cook County lakes and the millfoil comes back with a vengeance. If it isn't going to help with chemicals, at least try sterile grass carp (although that seemed to be disaster at Sag East and Papoose as they made no dent).

I (manually) remove a slew of that stuff from around the dock at my aunt/uncles cottage very year. I remove a good 70% of them but within a few months it is like I was never there. I doubt the weed killer does a 100% job so a yearly spraying is probably a waste of time and money.

Long story short, I would need more facts. If there is no reduction in weeds why keep doing it? If they are making headway, keep at it.

Like carp, millfoil is here to stay :-?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Webster lake in indiana used to be choked with it. There is till some there but it is mostly gone compared to what it used to be. other weeds have taken it's place. Some lakes on the barbee chain near there have had successful eradication as well and other weeds have taken their place as well. Weeds still there but it is more fishable stuff.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Tubes, I too like the 'dissenting opinions will be deleted' comment.

I also like this line that portends the level of intelligence behind the movement:

"Who are we are kidding? This is man made Lake created in the middle of native cornfields. There is no such thing as a “native” weed. "

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
axis_roll said:
Tubes, I too like the 'dissenting opinions will be deleted' comment.

I also like this line that portends the level of intelligence behind the movement:

"Who are we are kidding? This is man made Lake created in the middle of native cornfields. There is no such thing as a “native” weed. "

LOL...for a minute there I thought we were talking about the Shab Lake Association.....then I read that and I realized "OF COURSE WE ARE" :D

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
The shame is that there wasn't any real presentation of facts on the topic. Heck, maybe there really has been no improvement with efforts thus far and additional spraying may be futile. The problem is that it was presented as, "Here is what should be done, and support it or else" I have a hard time signing on for any proposition presented in that matter...... The truth is that you can get people to jump on a bandwagon pretty easy...

Take this example... Most of us would certainly support the reduction of greenhouse gases right? Well how many of you would support the reduction of the number one greenhouse gas, dihydrogen monoxide ?

There is presently more dihydrogen monoxide in the atmosphere than carbon monoxide (#2) and methane (#3), so why not try to reduce this greenhouse gas? I just about bet you I could have started a poll asking how many would support legislation to encourage the reduction of dihydrogen monoxide. The problem is that dihydrogen monoxide is simply...............Water Vapor! For the record, I did not come up with this, there was actually a college professor who wanted to illustrate the gulliblity of college students.. He had them all in agreement and ready to act in order to rid the world of water vapor :eek:

Point of the story is, do your research and weigh the facts BEFORE you jump on the bandwagon :)2

1 - 10 of 10 Posts