ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, the rigging project is progressing, got the platforms cut and about in, the marine carpet ready to glue in. tonight I will be installing the lights and wiring. Here's my problem. The generator I have is a little honda that is only 1000 watts. I don't really want to buy a bigger generator as I would have no real need for it, but the 1000 watts might not do the trick.. I bought 4 250 watt halogens and will run 2 on the front corners and two on the sides. 4 x250+ 1000-- Hopefully this will not overload the generator. I saw 150 watt halogens available and if my math is right, I could run 6 of those and still be at only 900 watts, not quite maxing out the genny. My question is, would the 150's be bright enough that I would be happy with them, or should I go with the 250's or should I seriously consider upgrading the whole darned set up... I can get a coleman 2200 watt unit for about $400, but that really is my last choice. I'd like to continue on the shoestring budget I started out on.....

Oh, more question. For my rear platform, I was planning on mounting two DC 55 watt halogen lights I had laying around for the times I have a 2nd shooter. Any idea how long those two will last on a good deep cycle marine battery?

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
I think the 150s will be fine Tom. When I bowfish alone I usually just use the 6 55w D/C lights. Its not as bright as the 300a A/C, but gives me almost the same cast, and I like the stillness of night bowfishing w/o a genny. Your eyes adjust to whatever light you have. My 6 55w lights will last about 4 hrs on a optima battery so you should get 4-6 for just 2 of them.

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, that's what I was hoping. I'd rather have some additional coverage versus extra brightness in a smaller area. I'm going to return the 250's and put 6 150's on instead, 2 front , 2 corner, 2 side.... Hopefully I'll post some pics of the finished project sometime tomorrow. Now I just have to weld up a trolling motor bracket. I may even weld up some brackets to make the lights sit higher... Thanks for the input :)2

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
I made my trolling motor bracket out of a single piece of 1/2in unistrut. It sticks out in front of the boat about 2ft. What I like about it is it has some give to it, kinda like a spring. so when I hit a stump or rock it absorbs the hit a little. The new boat is going to have the same motor as mine, but a salt water version that breaks away when you hit something. got a feeling that may drive me crazy after a few hits.

·
Registered
450 Posts
sounds like someone is ...

by the way - did you guys ever think of running your flood lights in parallel instead of series. you could get more lights on the boat that way. just a thought.

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
1KNOT2GO said:
[
by the way - did you guys ever think of running your flood lights in parallel instead of series. you could get more lights on the boat that way. just a thought.
Thats the only way we run them. We have some diagrams of circuits in the how to section on our site.

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
Not sure if this is what your intent is but....?

I have 2 solar spotlights charging on the boat while I'm out. If I even think I'm gonna be out there when it gets scary. Hooked up 2 clamp on each one to direct the light where it's needed. Mostly for moving around the deck & not taking oppps trip & taking a dunk. Click'em on & poof one has lights for about 4/5hrs., clamp them to my windshield, transom, rails just about anywhere. Also not totally adequate for guidence in the scary dark.
Thats what my re-chargable spot is for 1,000,000 power picked up at Menards for $9.99 ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.