ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mr. Jim Report
Jim gave me a great report from the Fox today. He said he had one of his best smallie days and that the smallies have truned on in a big way. He caught over 20 smallies 10 to 16". He said he didn't go more than 3 casts without a fish. He said everything he learned from the class with MikeyT last year worked. He was pumped up. I told him to start postig on the new CLF.

Razzo Report
The wife is out of town so I took my four year old son to Lake Heidicki (sp?) this afternoon for some bank fishing. I put a minnow/bobber on his Kmart special and casted it out and while I was rigging up my pole I saw his bobber go under - hard. I raced down the rocks (nearly breaking my neck) to get at his pole so I could make the set. Got to the pole, bobber nowhere in sight, realed in the slack and set the hook (very late set I might add). 17 to 18" smallie! He was throat hooked pretty bad. I worked on him for a while and cut the line and pulled the hook through from the barb. Clean surgury! Tried to revive him and he started to show a little spunk. So I put him on the stringer to see if he would make it. If he wasn't gonna pull through he was gonna be dinner. He came back to full strength so I happily released him.

So I got my pole wet and started to put a new hook on Garrett's pole and bammo! my bobber goes under. I race down the rocks again for another <font color="#FF0000">butchers</font> late set. This time it was a 10" crappie. He didn't survive the surgury so I put him in the cold minnow bucket and eventually gave him to somebody else.

A few minutes after that some guys about 50 yards to our left pulled in a very big walleye (released). Ten minutes after that a guy in the same group landed a 32" muskie (released). They were asking if anyone had a camera. I had my digital but found out on my 18" smallie that the batteries were dead - x#@*^!

The bite died off after that inital flurry. I wished I would have gotten there a little earlier.

Have fun,
Razzo

·
Registered
689 Posts
i hate when that happen( gut hook). when ever im tying something or eating or something i always get a bite and gut hook the fish. this must have happened 5-6 times at Beck Lake last sunday. i just gave the fish(crappies) to a older fellow. when this happens alot ill put a circle hook on. no more gut hooks

·
Registered
103 Posts
I finaly made it out to the Fox on Thursday,
about 7:15 am to 9:00 am.
Fished in N. Aurora, south of dam.
River too high to wade, so just shore fished.
7 smallmouth
1 largemouth
First 3 casts netted 3 fish.
Largest of the day was a 14-16 smallmouth.
Put up a good fight, with a couple of jumps.
Smallest was a 6 in smallie.
The bite seems to be on.
Most caught on green/orange Shad Rap.
All CPR in good shape.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pete on 2002-04-19 20:54 ]</font>

·
Registered
268 Posts
Rasso,
Live baiting with circle hooks can make a big difference when it come to CPR and they're fairly weedless. Don't have to "SET" the hook, just start reeling and the hook design will do its thing. I'll even make one out of an aberdeen.

They're not worth a damn when hidden in plastics (ie. texas style). Takes a very aggressive fish to get a hook set.

So, Garrett outfished you?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
amused,

Yes Siree, Garrett out fished his old man.

Live baiting with circle hooks
I am not familiar with these circle hooks. I'll thumb through my cabellas catalog to see if I can find them. If you can give me a link I'd appreciate it.

Usually, fishing in rivers, I don't have to worry about gut hooking fish. That style of fishing you usually can feel them even when they are just looking at your lure/bait. Fishing with the four year old is full of distractions and the gut hooks. I don't like to hook them like that. If this circle hook is good to avoid that I'd be happy to try them.

Thanks for the tip Live amused & Mike 48.

Razzo

·
Registered
268 Posts
Eagle Claw, Daiichi, Owner, Mustad, Gamakatsu...they all make 'em. Pretty sure every shop sells them.

They were originally designed for long liners on the deep blue. They needed a hook that could hold a large fish for days without killing it. The boats lay miles of fishing hooks and then go back and retrieve them. Takes a long time. Gut hooked tuna, shark, whatever, would be dead and no longer "fresh" and would be discarded.

Circle hooks allow fish to swallow the bait BUT don't penetrate the throat. The down turned point catches in their lip when they swim away. Fresh fish.

Circle hooks look pretty much like any other hook except for the extra bend between the tip and the barb. Maybe 45 degrees more???? that allows the hook to slide past the internals and dig in at the mouth.

G

·
Let me first say you guys on the Fox board are making me sick. Weve been fishing the Kishwaukee pretty hard since it finally warmed up and two of us havent caught squat,while my buddy Paul T. has been catching some nice sized smallies but wont share his honey hole. The Kish is a pretty long river and Paul fishes closer to the Rock confluence than i do. Im a firm beleiver that the smallies migrate in this river system and they havent made it up to their summer holes by me yet.
I keep reading all your reports on the Fox board and im getting very jealous,seems like you getting your good spring fishing right now.For some reason we were catching lots of sow smallies the last couple of years(fishing Diaries got to love them)yet this year its starting up a little slower.Today marks the 1 year anniversary of the biggest Illinois smallie ive ever caught,she came from a large pool/eddy last spring.Caught the male first then the female,she went 20 and three quarter inches.So fat she was a bear to lip.
You guys just keep reporting and i'll keep drooling!!! Kevin

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
amused,

That explains the green tint in your picture
LOL

Kevin, I have been hearing good things from the K3 too. Hopefully the Kish will turn on soon. Some of the guys I e-mail with have been doing really good on minnows. My buddy Bobber Jim however nailed em on jig/twister?

I can't wait to do some smallie fishing in the river.

Razzo

·
Registered
489 Posts
As far as circle hooks go, I have had a lot of sucess with the little experience I had with them this past summer. I started out using them for catfish. I missed the first couple of fish, but after you get past NOT SETTING THE HOOK, circle hooks had about a 95% catch rate. Every fish has been hooked right in the corner of the mouth, no matter how long I would let a fish eat the bait, and short of line breakage, i have not lost a fish yet. I moved on to try circle hooking with plastics and bass in small ponds as well... this is a little touchy, and I plan on working on circle hooking plastics this season, but so far i'm having some good sucess with them (bass tend not to hold on as long sometimes as cats). All that is needed is a steady pressure against the fish. The shape of the hook allows it to slide past the gullet, and moves freely unitil it reaches the corner of the mouth, where it turns and buries itself in the corner. Setting the hook does not allow the hook to make that turn to bury itself, rather setting the hook only pulls the rig out of the gullet or mouth and the fish swims away confused! I know In-fisherman is an avid promoter of circle hooks for mulitspecies freshwater angling... I've even used circle hooks for carp using dough balls! Unfortunately sucess was limited with old rubber-lips, but they still worked, and fish were not being gut hooked... anyway... there's my two cents!

·
Registered
689 Posts
. Every fish has been hooked right in the corner of the mouth
i wish that was true for me. out of over 200 fish ive caught since fall on circle hooks only 3-4 have been gut hooked and that was because they were on for a long time and just sitting where the bait was. 98% non gut hook rate is still good for me. if i was using regualar hooks i would have gut hooked maybe 25% of fish ( i let a float sit while using a lure or working live bait.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts