ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Jeez... what a Hillbilly...

Thats a pig for sure, but it doesnt look ANYWHERE near 12lbs!!! Look how far out he is holding it! and look at its length in relation to his fingers.

22 inches = 12lbs?? I dont think so.

[/url][/img]

This fish was 21.5 inches and 5.01 (full of eggs)
The fish in question is MORE than DOUBLE that? Me thinks not.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Yeah, I hate to get into these fish size/weight picture angle conversations, but I too was a little suspect on that one. Does look like one of those classic hold it way out towards the camera deals. To be honest the picture Yak Man posted looks like a similar fish and if that's only a little over 5lbs then I do question the 12lb claim. Having said that it's still an awesome fish no matter what it weighed. Either that guy has giant Paul Bunyan sized hands/fingers or that fish is only in the 6-7 lb range in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
I agree with Yak Man, it was a big smallie for sure...but double digits ? No way.

·
Premium Member
11,722 Posts
I agree with Yak Man, I caught smallmouth jusy shy of 22" and unless the thing was a square fish there's no way it weighed 12 pounds.

Full of eggs and ready to burst I could see *pushing* eight but no way 4 pounds more than that.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Yakman - Maybe it's the camera angle, but only 5.01 at 21.5 and full of eggs???? I'd question your scale. Your Smallie is a PIG. Again, maybe the camera angle, but I'm working on three different replicas right now - each at 21 and 21.5 that look similar in girth to yours and all three are listed in the 6's. I'd check your scale against a known accurate one and see what you come up with. I think you're shorting yourself a bit. Is it just me folks or does Yakman's fish look bigger than 5.01???

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I was thinkin' over six for that fish. (yakman's fish)

The fish in the news story looks pretty average to me,
-maybe four to five. Absolutey NOT a twelve plus.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Have another beer and take another look at the scale and tape again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.