ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to spend several hours this weekend doing annual maintenance on my reels for the upcoming season, however, the most I've ever done before was take the spools off/out and clean up any muck and re-lube.

Are there any websites/articles that deal with more extensive fishing reel maintenance? Also, on the average spinning reel, how far do you disassemble to get at the internals (if at all?)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Good luck if you didn't keep the exploded diagrams that came with your reels when you bought them. You can write or email most makers for another copy, but without them if you're not rather mechanically inclined there's lots of little bits and peices in there once you get into the gear portions of a spinning reel. I bought one of those Reel Kleen kits from BPS that has the grease and lube and degreaser and whatnot and the most I usually do is to grease the gears down the pinon shaft by smearing grease on it and spinning it and working grease down the shaft, and then putting the lube in the bearings in the handle assembly, giving everything a good once over and then reassemble and respool. Doing that even once can really smooth out your stuff.

I wish there was a shop that did yearly reel maintanance though for a fee.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
911 Posts
That's awesome, those are super handy. I'd go for a degrease on the gear box with a good brushing out with an old toothbrush, allow that to dry on a rag you don't care about anymore, then re-grease the gears nicely, and I wouldn't degrease the bearings but just make sure they're nice and soaked in lube. Take it down as far as you're comfortable with reassembly, but don't take the gear box apart unless you dunked the reel really bad or got sand in it or something.

Once you put them back together and spin the handle you can't help but grin. I got one of my reels so good this winter that I can get the handle spinning really fast by sheer inertia alone. Just a few pumps up and down on the rod and there it goes.....

·
Registered
275 Posts
I dont know what type of fishing you do but if you're out of a boat you can usually just get away with a good greasing before the season, that may not hold true if you fish with 20 year old reels though. I am not mechanically inclined so the thought of taking apart the whole reel is nightmarish. i normally lube the bearings with quantum hot sauce and get some on the 'drive shaft' and its all good. dont get the stuff all over though.

....as for paying someone to do it, bass pro will do it. but they charge too much. my buddy gets all his done even though its probably not neccesary. i think he does it at BPS. drops em off and picks em up a week later or something.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Reel Maintance

Coren's Rod & Reel Service, 6001 N. Nina Avenue, Chicago (773) 631-5202. They have parts for most reels and can order what they don't have. They also repair reels and rods. They do great work, at a fair price and are quick. I have gone there many times and have never been disappointed.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Those web sites are pretty good. The one surprising thing that I noticed was on spinning reels. I did not see any of them mention taking the entire carrier off to get to that roller bearing. If there is ever any bearing that needs good cleaning and lube, that one is it. Is is the one that supports the entire carrier and it sees a lot of abuse, every time you turn that reel handle. And it is simple to get to, though admittedly, I was intimidated the first time.

1. Remove the spool

2. Remove the side plate (I have found that some side plates cannot come off until the carrier is loosened to begin with, so see next step if this is your situation. If you can get the sideplate off without loosening the carrier nut, then do it.

3. Loosen the nut that holds the carrier down; this will usually have some sort of small screw pegging it in place, so remove that small screw first, and any holding ring that the small screw was holding down. Then you will be able to loosen and remove the carrier screw.

4. With the side plate off, follow the spool shaft all the way to the back end of the reel. You will notice that it is connected into a pawl (for lack of a better word), with one small screw. Remove this screw. You will then be able to pull out the entire spool shaft. You will likely now be able to lift this pawl out also, and this is a good time to focus on cleaning and re-greasing all the internal gearing as well, and get the rest of your bearings taken care of.

5. With the shaft removed, you can now remove the carrier (assuming you have taken the nut completely off from step 3).

6. Bingo, the most important over used bearing is now staring you in the face. You can choose to remove it, degrease it, and re-lube it, or just put some oil into it where it sits. Either way, your reel will thank you when you put her back together.

Trust me on this one, you want to take care of that bearing!

It goes without saying, that as you disassemble, keep note of the position of things so you can put it back together the same way it came apart!!!

Good Luck! I have done this on my Shimanos, BPS Extremes, Gander Mountain guide Series, Garcia Cardinals, and Cabelas fish Eagles. though they have some minor differences, they are all pretty much the same in this regard. Some require loosening the carrier in order to get the side plate off, and some do not.

O.F.F.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts