ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been to Reelfoot Lake recently? We are leaving on April 1st for a four day trip. We are staying in Hornbeak, I have never been there and just wondering if anyone has any advice for us. My buddy and I are bringing our kids and looking to catch as many fish as possible. We hired a guide for the first day, I should say my buddy did! But anyway, any advice on bait, technique, location, etc. would be greatly appreciated. :p

·
Registered
106 Posts
I looked into going there a few years ago, and everyone I talked to made it sound like you can catch all kinds of fish everywhere. It is supposed to be a great lake, tons of cover for bass. Good luck

Marty

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PartyMarty said:
I looked into going there a few years ago, and everyone I talked to made it sound like you can catch all kinds of fish everywhere. It is supposed to be a great lake, tons of cover for bass. Good luck

Marty
Marty, I will be sure to take lots of photos and post them when I return on Friday. I will also keep a daily journal of how we do in case anyone else plans on heading that way in the near future. :)2

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey I 've been there before but a few years back. you guy probably should stay at cypress point , they treat the fisherman nice and have really nice restuarant across street. But stick too the rigs they sale there and use the rosie red minnows , drift around cause we notice fish were constantly from deep water on east side of lake and then move to shallow bay near some of resorts there. Also note : take your time on water getting to spots there alot of submerge stomps!!!!!!!!!!!! Ouch when you hit them. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

·
Registered
275 Posts
....tons of stumps there. unreal. lots of cover. went last year in the summer without much luck but my buddy said in the springtime it was on. we used only artificials, chatterbaits, senkos, jigs, etc. We also used a rental boat but they were awful. its almost to risky to take your own boat cuz of all the stumps. the rentals were like double wide canoes with seats. after about 3 hours you felt spent.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the information everyone. I just finished packing my daughter and my stuff up. We are ready and anxious to go. My buddy is bringing his bass boat, against my better judgement, I hope all goes well. The weather looks decent in the upper 50's lower 60's. I will be open late friday night.

I will get some information to all of you by Saturday. Wish us luck! :p

·
Registered
275 Posts
...goodluck, at least you guys will be comfortable, just be careful opening it up. when i was there the only boats running on plane were the guides. they are all in duck hunting boats tricked out for bass fishing as well. I bet you get into them, they have some nice fish.

give us a report!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm new at this posting so here goes. I was trying to fish Western Kentuky last weekend. On Reelfoot, Saturday water was up about 3 feet, running mud brown across the whole lake. 30 to 40 mph wind causing dangerous conditions. That part of Tennesse and Kentuky have flooded roads and fields. Gee I wish I had better news. Even at Kentuky Lake resorts would not rent boats because of high winds and high water. Hopefully every thing will drain this week. As I left Sunday it was raining and they were expecting a few inches. This should all change in the week or so.

·
Registered
199 Posts
That Lake is bigger than most people think, and it does have some great fishing in it. I have been there a few times and planning on going back this year. Sorry I didnt read this post until Apr2nd, so let us know how your trip went.

Good Luck Fishin.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well we made it back! I will try to keep this brief, but want to provide as much information as possible in case any of you are planning a trip to Reel Foot Lake.

First of all, from my house just off of I-80 and 55 it took us about 9 1/2 hours to get there on Tuesday April 1st. The total distance to the south side of the lake where we stayed was 473 miles. You ask why so long of a trip? Well, one may believe because we had a 5, 9, and 11 year old travelling with us, but actually it was because of my 46 year old passenger. It seemed like we made a stop every hour so he could go to the bathroom, it got so bad my 5 year old daughter was giving him grief. :eek:

Anyway we arrived at Reel Foot lake at around 6 p.m. We travelled to the South side about 7 miles East of Tipton, Tennessee. We stayed in a new place that was quite small but accomodated all five of us just fine. The name of the place was the Lily Pad. The owners, Debbie and Johnny were more than great hosts they took care of breakfast each morning which was awesome. :)2 We got unpacked and met our guide for Wednesdays all day trip for crappie. He advised us that he had been out earlier in the day and had outstanding luck in the afternoon. He told us that he and his client caught 37 keepers with the bigger ones averaging just under two pounds. I took the kids out to the wall to fish, which was right across the street from our cottage. We took out crawlers and red minnows but didn't get a bite. It became extremely windy with the white caps washing out right in front of us. We called it a night.

Wednesday, April 2nd. Today was the day for our guided trip. I didn't know what to expect with us bringing out 2 adults and 3 kids. We headed out at about 8 a.m with everyone bundled up. The temperature was in the high 40's but the wind made it feel much colder. I knew we were going to be in trouble with my 5 year old daughter, but she was a trooper for her first fishing trip. We took the 22 foot War Eagle north and cut through what they call a ditch (canal) which they say is dry by the end of May. Our guide, Quint, has been on the lake for 17 years. We reached our destination after a quite scenic 2 mile plus ride. Then the fishing began. It was amazing. Quint had two metal pole holders which accomodated 12 poles each, one for the front of the boat and one for the rear, he had set up 18 poles, which I would compare to a cane pole, with two hooks each on an 18 inch leader with a small weight. We used red minnows and a slip bobber. The lines were thrown out about 8 ft. from the boat. We had the bobbers set and were floating the minnows about 5 ft. in depth. We would troll from West to East and back, without a bite for about the first 30 minutes. Around 9 a.m all hell broke loose, my daughter sitting on my lap, watching the 5 poles in front of us, down goes a bobber like it was caught in a snag. I told her to pick up the pole and there it was our first slab crappie weighing in at 1lb. What a beautiful fish. Not two minutes later our gude had the second, and I had the third and fourth. My buddy and his kids then caught 2 more. before I knew it we had seven beautiful keepers. I then caught a striper that was only about 13 inches long, it was immediately released.

The weather then turned colder and my daughter had enough, her and I headed back to to cabin. My partner and his two kids went back out and stayed out until about 6 p.m When the day was finished we took home 32 beautiful crappie. ( I have some great pictures but can't post because I am not a subscriber) We estimeated that we caught around 45 fish total.

That evening the all but 6 of the fish were fileted. My buddy is planning on mounting them to add to his collection at home. The biggest one weighing in at 2lb's. My buddy cooked up 5 of them while I took the kids fishing for catfish off the wall with all the guts of our harvest. They had several bites but were unable to catch anything. It was still fun watching them attempting to land a monster cat. :-D

We then ate dinner, the crappie was outstanding! There is nothing like eating fresh fish off the grill. I thought I was in heaven, of course washing it down with a couple of cold ones.

Thursday, April 3rd. A bad storm is rolling in. Just what Tennessee needed was another 2-5 inches of rain. The kids got up early, my buddy was not happy with what he was about to see. He and his kids didn't use any sun screen and their faces were fried beyond belief, it was so bad that his daughter's face was swolen pretty bad. By the time we left Friday they both had blisters on their faces and ears. (Lesson learned on that one..)

We had an open window from rain from about 3pm until 6pm where we took out my buddies boat and tried some crappie fishing in the same area as yesterday. We stayed out for about an hour or so. The kids had about a handful of bites and no catch. The skies turned black in the distance so we headed in. I fished off the shore for about an hour with my daughter and caught a drum off a crawler that was about 18 inches. she enjoyed the battle but that would be our last fish of the trip. The rain came and didn't stop until we left Friday morning at 11:30 am.

All in all the trip was very good! We were treated well and learned a lot about the lake. If I go again I will not bring a boat, I will rent one there, or hire a guide who knows exactly what he is doing. If you are not in to catching Crappie, I wouldn't bother making the trip. Most of the other fish in that lake you can catch in the local area.

The area we were in is also known for their hunting. My buddy is booking another trip in December to hunt in the morning and fish at night. If you are a planning a trip, I wish you all the best, if you are looking for more information let me know and I will see what I can do to help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
hey good job! some fish is better than no fish ! At least it wasn't waisted but weather could'v e been better. It seem to be same way for me and my buddy when we went an few years back.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Nice report. :)2 Sounded like a great trip despite the weather and sunburn situation. 8:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts