ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Such an unexpectedly nice place was the resort we spent last week at. 1st trip to Reelfoot and it was one fine time. Have always viewed the exceedingly reasonable adds for the four day and weeklong packages with suspicion. Well, pleasantly surprised was I.
Reelfoot crappie fishing is all it's made out to be.
The crappie were still pre spawn with the big sows staged in deep water off their spawning bays. Drifting with minnow rigs just off the bottom in 15 to 16 foot of water was the ticket to success. Those who still fished with jigs found the bite real tuff. It's a real chore drifting through deep stumps and hanging on them over and over but it was a presentation which payed off.
The smaller males were shallow and much easier to catch for those looking for numbers.
Many of the females would be in the 13 to 14 inch range and some weighed in close to and over two pounds.
Another terrific angling adventure.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just came back 4/28 from our 2nd trip to Reelfoot. The place we stayed at was very nice also. Not a bad price for all you get. Unfortunatly the weather did not cooperate. Storms every other night, East wind 15 -20 & gusty Sunny when we pulled up & again when we we leaving, otherwise rain off 7 on for 3 days. Kept us off the main part of the lake where all the 2 lb & up Crappie hide. Still caught about 15 nice sized ones only 1 - 2 lb.'der. Worked the stumps around the shore & pulled in over 50 of the biggest Gills i've ever seen. Lots up around a lb. Also a few fair sized cats. on a wax worm in 2 feet of water, in the weeds, with 4lb. line OH BoY!! A great fishery & at least a month ahead of us in the temps. Great way to beat cabin fever without risking frostbite!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just booked my first trip to reelfoot. I am going July 4th weekend. Glad to hear that the fishing was good. Are there any special regulations on the lake that I should be aware of?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nah!
Just go have a good time.
Catch loads of fish.
Keep a few for dinner.
Post a good story when you return.
Any Luc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts