ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

removable DOWNRIGGERS? Can't find one... (New Member)

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  MonkeyFinky 
#1 ·
Just moved to Chicago, have access to a great power boat for the summer, can't wait to go salmon fishing, but can't hard install downriggers to this boat.

My questions is:

Does anyone out there know of any downriggers that are completely removable or that can be attached to bars/poles (holding bars on the back of the boat)? Note: I found the downriggers with the adjustable clamps but none of them are wide enough to attach to this particular boat (38 foot sundancer). I can NOT install a downrigger to the fiber glass and need to remove the downriggers after every time I take the boat out. I've been looking for downriggers that are attached by industrial strength suction cups or another means but can't find one after hours of research.

I'm assuming you have to have a downrigger to fish off the coast of Chicago and don't know of any alternative means to hit the depths/temps needed...

any help would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick response Ron. Really appreciate it!

I found those but none of them seem to be wide enough for the gunwale (and the gunwale on a sundancer has a weird lip on it that even makes it more difficult to firmly attach). I guess I'll keep looking for wider ones or try and come up with a way to fabricate a mount.

Thanks agian

#5 ·
I'd go with a rail mount. Traxstech has some great stuff.

http://www.traxstech.com/Rail_Clamps.html

pretty sure all the downrigger manufacturers make some sort of rail mount system for their riggers. The traxstech system will allow you to attach a track and install a downrigger mount, dipsey holders and maybe even a rod tree for planers. Don't know how serious you plan on getting but I got hooked pretty quick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.