ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit the Dupage yesterday from 6:00-7:30 in the evening. I Waded one of my favorite stretches in the Shorewood area. Using a watermelon with red flake Fat Albert on a no. 2 keeper hook I caught four Smallies. Three were small fish about 14 inches long. They were all caught in the same area, a deadfall in shallow mud bottomed water with a good current running through it. They were caught while I very slowly hopped the jig along the bottom. Each fish hit as the jig came to rest on the bottom and were all lip hooked. They were not aggressive at all.

I waded upstream into an area that is dominated by shallow mud flats with a rocky bottom off a dropoff into the main current. I fished the edge of the mud rock transition and felt a solid thump. I gave this fish a little more time to take the jig into her mouth before setting the hook because I suspected it was a larger fish. As soon as I set the hook I knew it was a big fish. After four power runs and two attempts to throw the hook on jumps I lifted an 18 inch pig out of the water. The smallmouth from the Dupage are so much darker and brightly marked than the fish in the Kankakee and this one was no different. It was a beautiful specimen. After a few more casts with nothing doing I called it a day.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts